1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Brother, Can You Recommend a Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BogieBass, Apr 12, 2006.

1. BogieBass

BogieBass

Apr 11, 2006
    Toronto
    I am a new bass player and bought a Fender Geddy Lee, sight unseen from the US. I based my decision on many positive reviews and the great price. Basses, and instruments in general, are much more expensive here than in the US.

Now, I'm not so sure that I made the right decision and was wondering if anybody can point me in the right direction.

Consider the following:

I am a big guy, 6 feet tall and 275 pounds, so a heavy bass is not an issue for me.

I have short arms for my size, my sleeve length is 34". Is a short scale bass better for me, or will I look like one of those fat brothers on a minibike from Guiness?

I have xlarge hands with slender not chubby long fingers. The Geddy Lee neck is so small to me that it sometimes seems like a toy.

Because of this, I think that I would prefer a wider neck like you see on some 5-string basses and a flatter rather than rounder c-shape neck.

I prefer the simplicity and tone of passive electronics, I will be getting an old Ampeg 100w tube head I bought off EBay for $400 shortly, to go along with my new Avatar 410 Neo Cab. A sweet and inexpensive setup, I must say.

I was thinking that a vintage Gibson SG bass might do the trick, but I am also open to the idea of a newer bass.

Within reason, price is not an issue but I'm not going to buy an Alembic or anything.

Thanks for your help

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The SG Bass will be fine if you like its tone ... its only tone. I've played a couple of 'em, and can't stand them. That's mostly because I hate vintage tone. If you're going to be doing a vintage gig, then maybe. I'd get a modern bass with two pickups for the versatility. Lakland Skyline, Sadowsky Metro, Fender Jazz Deluxe (very nice), heck, even a Stingray is better than an SG. For passive electronics, find a Roscoe Beck 4 or 5. It has a wide string spacing, and many say this is the best 5-string Fender ever built. Here's a couple pics of the RB5.

3. Giel

Giel

Sep 9, 2005
    The Netherlands
    A Warmoth gecko 5 string, these are available in, small, medium and wide..
    The neck on my bass is a wide Gecko:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But you do have to assemble these basses yourself, unless you can find someone to do it for you.. And the aren't available in 4 strings..

Also I thought some of the warwick basses are available whit extra wide necks aswell.. You might want to check them out..

Good luck!

4. mobax

mobax Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2002
    New Baltimore, MI
    Lakland Skyline has a wide and relatively flat neck. The price is also good whether you buy new or used. With a 34 inch sleeve, I don't think you need a short scale bass. That's my $.02.