Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Brotherhood of Groove is Auditioning Bassists!!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Stewmc5222, Mar 4, 2005.

1. hey all,
    I apologize for my less than stellar presence since I've gotten off the road, but I'm still trying to get on top of my personal correspondence. I hope to climb the mountain of waiting emails and call over the course of this weekend. in the meantime, I hope I can get your help with something.
    as many of you know, Kathryn and I are moving to the West Coast this summer which means that I have resigned my position in the Brotherhood of Groove as a regular member. I'm doing a handful of dates before I leave town (JazzFest, French Quarter Fest, etc.), but from this point out my name gets moved to the revolving roster of cats who don't live in New Orleans.
    yep, the BOG is now auditioning bassists! here's what's needed for anyone interested in the spot:

- pro gear (reliable and road ready)
    - an ability to commit to one or more months on the road
    - reading music
    - knowledge of many styles of msic
    - improvizational skills
    - a solid groove
    - willingness to wear costumes

for anyone who meets the above criteria, please contact the band's manager, James Harding here: gbbooking@cox.net.
    if you have any questions, you can contact me in a private email so the rest of the group doesn't have to be bothered. stay well and keep it funky,

from the lows,

Stew

2. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Hey Stew, just picked up yall's latest CD from Homegrownmusic.com, I guess this will be the last with you as a regular member, so its now going be a piece of history I guess :)

Good luck in your hunt, I wish I was worthy of even trying out lol.

3. LOL

a piece of history? man, I don't know about that! it was a blast playing with these cats and they're only getting better, so I think each album will be a surprise compared to the previous one!

as to auditioning, at least you're closer to this neck o fthe woods. you can always contact James and submit something. if I got the gig, real players are always a pleasant surprise!

:D

from the lows,

Stew

4. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    ROFL, you haven't heard me have you?

From your checklist

- pro gear (reliable and road ready) - Ok got this one fairly covered
    - an ability to commit to one or more months on the road - BUZZ - cant do that right now
    - reading music - is like one note at a time really slowly qualify? lol
    - knowledge of many styles of music - does knowledge mean "know how to play"? lol
    - improvizational skills - well I can improv, if its any good is debatable lol
    - a solid groove - again, debatable lol
    - willingness to wear costumes - Ok, this one I can do I suppose lol

5. man, I don't know a bassist who isn't hard on him- or herself, so it's hard to tell when it's modesty or honesty. the way I figure, it never hurts to try!

from the lows,

Stew

6. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Whoa....

Sorry to hear you are leaving BOG. I'm glad I got a chance to catch you while you were still with them.

Good luck while moving!

7. thanks, man. I'm glad you enjoyed the show. were you, by any chance standing off to the side of the stage with a woman about your age? if that was you, you should have said something... even if I was the dweeb in the funny looking slippers!

stay well and keep on the bass,

from the depths of funk,

Stew

8. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Nope. My gf and I were sitting in the middle of the room (give or take.) I looked for you during the intermission, but you disappeared on me. ;) When the 2nd set was about to start, you walked right by me. I didn't even realize it until you stepped on stage.

9. d'oh! well, next time you know to tackle me! seriously, offer me a cold glass of water between sets and -- unless I'm already in a conversation -- you have my full attention!

from the lows,

Stew

10. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Hey Stew,
    Sorry to hear you're leaving the BOG!!! That was one hot gig. And of course you've left some pretty big shoes to fill behind, I don't envy the person who gets the job!! But i'm glad I got the chance to catch the show and meet you when I did.

Where are you headed on the West Coast? Have you got another gig lined up or are you going to try to focus on your own stuff?

Best of luck in the move!!! Hope you make it out my way again, or maybe vice-versa.

11. hey Todd,

thanks for the incredibly kind words. the gig was definitely a fun one and I am keeping in touch with the band, so I could well work with them again in the future.

our move is slated for this summer and I plan on working in other bands, teaching, and keeping at the solo stuff.

it was very cool meeting and my family lives in New Hampshire, so I'll let you know when I'm heading out to visit them. who knows? maybe I'll be able to book some solo stuff or a clinic!

stay well and thanks for the great pics!

from the lows,

Stew

12. Hey Stew,

Is Summer NAMM out of the question for you?

13. hey Bernie,

don't know yet, but it's not looking likely at this point. I wish I could go since I've never made it during the summer session. Indianapolis this year, right?

14. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I'll sticky this to the top for a great band and for one of my favorite ERBists :bassist:

15. Yeah, Stew. I'm going to be there and was hoping to catch up with some cats. But it's cool if you can't. I'd love to make it to the Anaheim show one year as well. Maybe we'll catch up then!

16. thank you, sir. I am once again humbled! :oops:

as I'm headed out West, I think Anaheim is much more likely for me. you know I'll keep you informed, though, one way or another!

:bassist: :cool:

you guys are the best!

from the grateful lows,

Stew

17. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Wow, glad I caught BOG with you playing in it... You definitely have some big shoes to fill... whoa.

Can a 5'ist play that gig?

hmm...

18. hey Jairaj,

it ain't the number of strings but the music you make with 'em!

from the lows,

Stew

19. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I know that, silly... :D

I'm just mess'n.

20. i would try out but im from texas.