1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Brothers car stolen and recovered. Chances of police investigation?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Kwesi, Jun 5, 2012.

1. So for the second time in like, three years, our van was stolen and recovered. Damages were minor (they always have to take the radio :spit:) and we're pretty sure insurance will cover it but we always found a cell phone in the car. It doesn't belong to anyone we know so we assume that it belong to one of the thieves. I'm just curious, what do you guys think the chances are that the police will actually look into it?

2. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Inactive

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Slim to none.

3. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    How was it recovered?

4. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    +1, the car has been found, they might check it for prints, but I think they'll want to consider this case closed.

5. Oh, there was a police investigation into the theft and they found a ways south of where we live. I was just wondering if they'd actually try and pursue anything now that they have the cell phone.

6. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    Whether they want to pursue it, is up to that particular department. If it was Milwaukee, they won't care. Someone broke into my car and unscrewed the light bulb on the garage. I removed it with the cop watching and, since it was winter, I exhaled on it so I could see if a print would be visible. It was and I asked if he wanted the print- he just said "No, that's OK". Apparently, the paperwork wouldn't have been justified.

Lazy POS!

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Call the A-Team. They'll track down them thievin' fools.

-Mike

8. Hi.

Aren't 'em a tad old for that kind of stuff??

At least the A-Team I'm thinking about.

Better to call CSI methinks ;).

Plant a bodypart or a pouch of narcotics in the van if You want the police to pursue the matter further. Otherwise just be glad it was just a joyride (or a bulgrary) them lowlifes were interested in.

Prepare to be pulled over for a while though, erasure of the "stolen" status often takes some time to clear from the database.

Regards
    Sam

9. My brother had the same car stolen twice (someone at the dealer scammed an extra key), and they caught the guys. Both times they left strawberry sode and random sports stuff... like bowling shoes and a tennis racket.

The stereo was jacked as well as other items. Those likely won't be covered. Sorry! Hope it turns out well.

10. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

May 7, 2012
    Well, each case is either handled by the police officer or it is reassigned to an investigator. Every police department is different. They'll probably look into the cell phone. It might either be the thief's phone or it could possibly be a stolen cell phone so that would be linked to another case. You can always contact the police officer who took the original report to check the status of the investigation.

Cases don't get closed when there are no more clues or every resource feasible has been exhausted. They go into an inactive mode/status.

11. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I never actually learned to play very well
    Here a simple stolen vehicle incident will not get much police attention. Insufficient resources. You file a report, it gets logged, if the vehicle turns up they'll contact you. No real investigation unless there's a bigger fish involved, like an armed carjacking or something.

12. ZanaZulu807

ZanaZulu807

Aug 6, 2007
    It's not a car or w/e, but what about in the case of a person stealing a person's TV, laptop, etc. and hacking through their information, send threats to those close to them, etc.? I know cops are half assed until blood is spilled, but at least some sort of footwork has to be done in the case of stolen property.

13. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I never actually learned to play very well
    That's two different things. Simple property theft such as a burglary is unlikely to get much attention here. File a report and hope the property turns up. Again, insufficient resources to investigate every minor crime.

Identity theft, threats against persons, that's a bigger deal. Those things will be investigated.

A week or so ago here, a bunch of dip**** white supremacists in a pickup truck flying a confederate flag chased a black kid about 15 yo, yelled threats and racial slurs at him, basically scared the crap out of the kid. The cops were all over it, tracked down and nabbed the dipwads, felony charges. Score one for the cops. They do what they can.

14. ZanaZulu807

ZanaZulu807

Aug 6, 2007
    That's what I thought and would expect. My sister is going through this and she's gone through the motions with filing a police report and requesting orders from a judge to track this guy either through his phone or her stolen computer. It's now been just over a month and little to nothing has been done. She and my other sister have been threatened (funny how he won't contact/threaten me...) and frankly our patience with the cops is wearing a bit thin. We come from a well established background with family in the justice system and law enforcement and the fact that this has gone on this long is a bit pathetic. With the way things are these days, we should've had this guy tracked and her things returned to her within days of the judge filing the orders. Sorry if I'm ranting, things get different when it's a personal issue.

15. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    You could install remote-controlled locks and a kill-switch, just like on Bait Car. :bassist:

16. There is only about a 10% chance of decent prints being lifted from a crime scene, then if there prints are not in a data base there of no use,finger print evidence is of so minor importance in most cases.

CSI has really distorted peoples expectations of cops , police departments usually juggle huge case loads and there is minor technology in most police department labs.

17. Simo98

Simo98

Jun 18, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    Open up the phone, look through the contacts for "Mum", and call the little brats parents and dob 'em in :D

18. I heard they got four more detectives working on the case. They have them working in shifts.

19. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    ^ Of course I was reminded of:

20. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Masks, people, masks!
    Song Surgeon slow downer.
    It's not personal for the police. A matter of priorities and budget. Budgets are being cut so services are being reduced.