1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Broughton Audio Low Pass Filter - do I need a HPF too?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jacoby75, Jan 30, 2018.

1. jacoby75

jacoby75 Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Guitars, DR Strings
    Hey crew,

So based on what I've read thus far and a brief conversation with Josh, I'm fairly certain I'm going to try a Broughton LPF on my direct-to-board pedalboard for use primarily when I'm using distortion and overdrives to help tame the high end fizz. Even with my Tech 21 VT Bass DI's speaker sim engaged, drives can be fizzy and harsh at times and fairly unusable except at very low gain settings, which almost defeats the point.

The question is . . . do I also want a High Pass Filter (meaning buy the one that has both together in one pedal with the gain knob)? If so, why? Or should I just buy the LPF, if my main concern is taming drive harshness?

There aren't enough videos online to help this subject make sense to me at all, and all the threads about the technical side of things make my head hurt. I get that a HPF can "tame the low end", but I'm not a smart man. At least not smart enough to know if I need that, particularly in a direct-to-board setup. I don't REALLY have the money to buy the LPF, but I'll make it work. But I'm not sure if I can justify needing the LPF and HPF in one. If you have feedback, please put it in dumb-dumb terms.

Thanks for any advice you might be able to offer.

2. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    A High Pass Filter is helpful to protect your speakers from low frequencies that they may not be designed to produce.

For example: The 30Hz fundamental from a low B string could cause a 10" bass guitar speaker to move beyond its mechanical limit.

Check the frequency range of your current speaker cabinet(s) to see if a HPF might be useful.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
    lowplaces likes this.
  3. jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    Well, that would be the question. I don’t currently even use an amp. I run a pedal board straight into the sound board.

4. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    If you use an HPF as well you can cut out all the super low crap that goes straight to the subwoofers.

5. jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    But that is helpful to know. Thank you. I do typically play five string basses too.

6. jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    Sure. But isn’t some of that good? How do you know what/how much to cut? I suppose that would be largely up to the sound guy for the FOH. But as I largely play in churches these days, I trust church sound guys about as far as I can throw them.

7. bass12

bass12 Have you seen my tonsils lately? Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I have the dual HPF + LPF. I find the HPF to be very useful in helping to focus the low end and "tighten up" the sound. If it helps preserve my speakers then great but that's not why I use the HPF.

8. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Anything under 30hz is IMO useless. Mud. Makes speakers flap, but you can’t hear it.

EDIT: Most players use an HPF in front of their amp because all of that energy in the sub frequencies just wastes valuable power from your amp (it's like having the heat in your house cranked up but all the windows wide open in the middle of a brittle cold winter).

I find that most live sound engineers put way too much into the subs. By setting the HPF at 30-50hz lets you have more control of the signal you send to FOH. Honestly, I think every instrument needs an HPF... especially guitarists that like to max out the bass on their amp, and keyboard players with wandering and heavy left hands.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  9. jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    Does anyone who uses a LPF or HPF on their pedalboard have the capability of making some sound clips to see how it interacts with direct (or amp-based) drive and fuzz pedals? It would be really helpful. Not only for me, but perhaps for others interested in a similar set up. Youtube samples of this are non-existent. Thanks.

10. I don’t have the capacity to do that but check out sfx UK pedal builders Thumpinator pedal. There is a demo of speaker reaction to lows with and with out the thumpinator.

11. jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    Thanks. Do you know if there is an SFX equivalent to a low pass filter?

12. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I use a HPF only. Don't care if you're playing thru an amp, direct-to-board, etc...IMO, a judiciously-applied HPF just makes the bass sound better.

Riis

BrBss likes this.
  13. The thumpinator has a fixed roll off at 30Hz if I recall correctly not sure if there are other models with more control

14. jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    What kind do you use?

15. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Bought a used Fdeck series 3 a few months back and loaded it in front of my compressor(s). We have a long-winded ongoing discussion in another thread weighing the merits...I honestly can't think of any disadvantages.

post your Empress Compressor settings!

Riis

16. jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    If this video is to be believed, the benefits of a hpf are plain to see.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
    bassrique, grinx and Socobass like this.
  17. PraiseBassing

PraiseBassing Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2017
    California
    As a bassplayer and church soundman, who can't be thrown very far :eyebrow:, I will try to get some audio samples from the board with and without the Low-cut this weekend. I don't think it is the same 12 dB per octave as the Broughton pedals, but should provide some idea.

18. jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    That would be fantastic, thanks. But I'm a pretty big guy. I'd bet I could chuck you a ways. : ) Don't get me wrong, I've worked with a couple in my years who did actually know what they were doing and it was a fantastic experience.

19. Azure Skies

Azure Skies Commercial User

Mar 21, 2012
    Toronto
    Businessman and EE Importer/Exporter Broughton Audio
    Mixing boards can vary in their degree of high pass filtering. The traditional approach is to have a fixed 80 Hz filter, since vocals don't really have any content below that. 80 Hz may be too high (or not) for bass guitar, and who knows what the slope is (6 db? 12? 18?). Some boards have a variable frequency, and they tend to be 6 or 12 dB. A variable HPF is nice for bass guitar because you can set it according to the room you are in. Some subs have way too much rumble, and some rooms have bad resonances. There may not be one "set and forget" frequency for all situations, but at least you have the control in your hands to cut out the "flub".

20. jthisdell

jthisdell

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    I use two HPF's, one on my radial pre at the beginning of my signal chain and then my ToneHammers' Drive control is basically a variable HPF & LPF. I have a Broughton LPF but do not use it much because I learned how the Drive control really works. If I had to do it again I would buy the dual unit.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 24, 2021