1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Broughton Fliptop settings

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by marchone, Jan 22, 2021.

1. marchone

marchone Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2009
    NYC
    Would other Fliptop owners comment on what settings they arrived at? Possibly affected by other pedals in a daisy chain? I've been using all dials at 12 and it sounds pretty good, but I wonder what others are doing?

I currently have this pedalboard setup with a passive Fender Precision.

Bass > Tuner > Compressor > Fliptop > Preamp

gtabyBFl.jpg

Ggaa likes this.
  2. Charlie Tuna

Charlie Tuna

Feb 21, 2005
    Key West, FL
    Do you prefer the bass and treble on the SBP-1 over the FlipTop? Are you running both together? If so, I’d try the SBP-1 off or at least with treble and bass set flat (all the way CCW) to get a better idea of the FlipTop’s inherent sound.

DJ Bebop, marchone and TREYontheBASS like this.
  3. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

The Fliptop is a preamp. Is your Sadowsky preamp also engaged concurrently with the Fliptop? While gain staging can often be used to good effect, having multiple EQ stages in a signal chain isn’t generally a good idea since it’s hard to know which EQ is doing precisely what to your tone when there is more than one going at the same time.

DJ Bebop, Low Down Brown and marchone like this.
  4. Charlie Tuna

Charlie Tuna

Feb 21, 2005
    Key West, FL
    Also, it looks like your MXR settings may be giving you a lot of compression. Try turning it off while you learn the ins and outs of the FlipTop. You may have done this already so apologies if I have assumed incorrectly.

DJ Bebop and marchone like this.
  5. marchone

Nov 30, 2009
    NYC
    Thanks for all the responses.

The settings in that photo are not what I am using. Although the four pedals are daisy chained I have experimented with one at a time (others bypassed), two at a time (ditto) and all at once with the tuner bypassed.

Another thread got me preferred settings for the MXR Bass Compressor and that has helped me a lot in learning what I can get out of these things.

The Fliptop alone is great. So far I've settled on 12 noon for all the knobs except Master at 1 o'clock. What settings are you guys dialing in?

Btbp, DJ Bebop and Charlie Tuna like this.
  6. Charlie Tuna

Charlie Tuna

Feb 21, 2005
    Key West, FL
    OK, sounds like you are testing it out properly. Mine's still in the box from the first drop waiting for me to collect it so I'm no help on actual settings, lol!

DJ Bebop and marchone like this.
  7. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I've been experimenting a lot with the Fliptop, and it does not play well with high output basses so it's taken me a while to dial it in and make it useable. I'm not looking to get overdrive out of it though, or at least not very much. I'm just looking for thickening and it does that well. It really makes the D and G strings pop. I'm also figuring out which compressor goes better after it...Diamond Jr. or Monocomp. I like them both so need more time with that.

But here's my Fliptop settings. I run it with 18v which makes a big difference as well.
    Bass at 3 o'clock
    Treble at 1 o'clock
    Gain 11 o'clock
    Cab noonish
    Master noonish

Btbp and marchone like this.
  8. marchone

Nov 30, 2009
    NYC
    Yes, I have mine running at 18v also per the information in the Broughton Mega Thread.

Thanks for those settings. I just tried them with and without an MXR Compressor. Volume is down with it. Alone it’s about perfect with a passive Precision.

9. Watching thread in hopes that I score a fliptop at the next drop... I have a studio boost on the way, my first broughton

marchone and letsgethandsome like this.
  10. The thread is a good idea.

I had mine set one way a few weeks back, closer to @mmbongo 's, then I saw someone post their settings (sorry, forgot who so put your hand up if it was you) and I tried them and liked them.
    I took their photo to a rehearsal so I have backup:
    Fliptop settings.png
    These settings are a bit extreme for me and I backed off on them somewhat.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
    marchone and MascisMan like this.
  11. letsgethandsome

letsgethandsome Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2012
    Cincinnati
    I am still experimenting with mine… I tried it with the bass and treble dimed. It sounded really great through my DAW for practicing. Just a thick fat ridiculous tone. For real life though, I do back it off some. Still trying to find my sweet spot with it but I really like it so far…

marchone likes this.
  12. hennessybass

hennessybass

Oct 11, 2008
    Bayou City
    As others have said, you have two preamps going.
    Based on that picture, you have a serious bass and treble cut (mid bump) on your first preamp - then a huge bass and treble boost (mid scoop) on your second preamp. Also, a lot of gain coming from your first preamp into your second preamp.

Do you, of course, but for me I'd work on the Fliptop alone to see what I like... I's really hard to tell what it sounds like when you have the other preamp with some pretty extreme setting.

Interesting to see some extreme setting from @Btbp.
    Although - I used to have an actual Fliptop amp, and I found it sounded pretty good with stuff cranked way up or down.

marchone likes this.
  13. marchone

Nov 30, 2009
    NYC
    I am sorry I was unclear. I am using the Fiiptop alone. I am looking for other user’s settings. Thanks.

hennessybass likes this.
  14. Yes but...not my settings or my photo, my settings don't have the tone controls maxxed like that, I aim more for warmth.

marchone likes this.
  15. These were my settings last night in rehearsal, this pic was after I had the Treble and Bass backed off but needed it back for a specific song.

What was pretty cools was maxxing the Gain for a song (can't remember right now but a popular 70s hit) and it was perfect OD for that. Quite flexible effect.
    Edit: I remember the song, Rod Stewart or The Faces, I'm Losing You, which has a totally fuzzed out bass.
    20210130_221739.jpg
    The FT is not an always-on effect for me, I don't actually use it that much, but good to have when needed. The same for the SS and SVP. The Messenger is always-on but for shaping rather than character like the others.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
    marchone likes this.
  16. cosmicevan

cosmicevan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The other day I had to pull my pedalboard out of my chain so I have just the pre-amps in the effects loop. I recalibrated my settings and here's where I landed...

a9ojoETl.jpg

this goes into a Broughton SSDI

marchone likes this.
  17. I think I’ve landed on this setting for most songs but honestly I was having fun adjusting the cab knob for each different song.

Precision with Labella LTFs

Cab positions
    Off - Last Train to London (ELO)
    9pm - Silly Love Songs (Wings)
    Noon - Listen To The Music (Doobie Brothers)
    3pm - Crazy Little Thing Called Love (Queen)
    Full - You Can’t Hurry Love (Supremes) and What’s Goin’ On (Marvin Gaye)

It sounded great going into the Studio Boost for every song. Very happy with this setup!

It’s going to be fun using this with my original 60s/70s inspired band.

Attached Files:

marchone, MascisMan and Btbp like this.
  18. That's a really useful and descriptive way to explain setting choices.

marchone likes this.
  19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 4, 2021