1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD Broughton Locust Star - King of all Rats (in a good way)

Discussion in 'For Sale: Effects and Pedals' started by jacoby75, Apr 13, 2021.

1. jacoby75

jacoby75 Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Guitars, DR Strings
    Price:
    $0
    United States
    Hey kids,

Up for trade (only at this point) is a Broughton Locust Star. I am the second owner, acquiring it via trade a few days ago. It has remained in my smoke-free, pet-free, gig free and fun-free home for the past couple of days. I’m just not bonding with it as I expected to, and my dirt needs are currently being met elsewhere. It is an incredibly versatile little pedal, but I thought I would offer it up to another loving home where it will be appreciated for all it’s ratty, grindy glory and see what else is out there. These are not currently in stock, so who knows when you’ll get another chance? You know how it be. Broughton be Broughtoning.

“What is a Locust Star?” you ask. I’m glad you asked. If you like LM308-style Rat distortion, or other distortions, or heck, even if you don’t like distortion, you may still like this pedal. It’s a distortion with three modes to select between: standard silicon diodes (switch down position), LEDs (switch up position), or no diodes (switch middle position). In the no diodes position, the distortion is generated in the LM308 chip. (And therein lies much of the versatility). But the real secret to me is the “range” knob, which controls the overall gain available and character of the midrange. That combined with an active shelving eq as opposed to the traditional treble filter makes this one versatile distortion pedal. It is billed as a Rat slayer, but it can do a lot more, IMHO. I just don’t have much need for additional distortion pedals at this time, so here we are.

But don’t take my word for it. Here is the information straight from the rat king himself, Josh Broughton:

“The Locust Star is an homage to the classic LM308 Rat distortion, combining an array of upgrades that make this one highly versatile dirt pedal. It is a small batch pedal and will be limited in production.

The tone control of a distortion pedal can drastically change the character. A simple passive filter can only provide one dimension of tonal range. The Locust Star instead uses an active shelving EQ, creating far more possible tonal profiles. The Bass control provides more than enough low end for bass players--no clean blend is needed. The Treble control ranges from bright and raspy all the way to a dark and warm tone. To get a mid-forward tone, turn both EQ knobs down and boost the volume. To get a mid-scooped tone, turn both EQ knobs up and lower the volume. The EQ is flat with both knobs at noon.

The three position Clip switch varies the clipping between standard silicon diodes (switch down position), LEDs (switch up position), or no diodes (switch middle position). In the no diodes position, the distortion is generated in the LM308 chip.

The Range knob reduces the upper mid bump and lowers the amount of gain inherent to the original unit, allowing for more of a full frequency overdrive effect. Maximum gain and upper mid bump is available when the Range knob is fully clockwise.

The Locust Star uses an internal charge pump to double the incoming power supply voltage for even more headroom, allowing more range of break-up with the gain control. Using the maximum supply voltage, and selecting no-clipping mode, you get an excellent bass preamp with a touch sensitive overdrive. The headroom is large enough to easily drive a power amp to full volume.

The pedal requires a DC power supply (not included). The DC supply should be a standard Boss style connector, center negative polarity. The pedal can accept 9 to 18 volts . The current draw is approximately 20 mA.

The Locust Star has a true bypass switch.

Dimensions: 4.77" long x 2.6" wide”

Trade interests at this time include:

Broughton Studio Boost
    Broughton Helion
    Broughton Archetype (pedal)

If anything else comes to mind, I will update the trade interests.

Please do not message about purchasing it at this point, as I am only interested in trades. If that changes, I will let you know.

The pedal is in minty fresh condition, and it functions perfectly. It even comes with the highly sought after, often imitated never duplicated Broughton white cardboard box.

B4C6030F-F114-4692-B77A-ACF7B1B55954.jpeg

76A0CEB6-FE2A-41E9-A533-7C66EEA64639.jpeg

0ACEE78F-C7A2-4E36-ABD1-39EB75DB25B3.jpeg

FAD3895B-203F-483B-8F17-B1BEC3D3DFF0.jpeg

5DFF091B-3494-4BC1-93F6-E959AD885A1D.jpeg

FBBC22F4-34FA-4C77-98E5-15A95AD5BDBB.jpeg

1A1ACA37-FFFA-4FDF-AD60-E080DDD3D14F.jpeg

29EF3D04-FBA2-45C3-9F46-F7705C921219.jpeg

Thanks.

2. kranahan

kranahan Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2009
    San Francisco Bay Area
    I click Uncle Rick’s ads for the stories. They sure are entertaining! GLWTT!

3. jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    I do love to spin a good yarn.

4. saltydude

saltydude

Aug 15, 2011
    boston CANADA
    :eyebrow:

Is a gooooood pedal mang. GlWtT

jacoby75 likes this.
  5. jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    It truly is. If I actually had need of distortion in the real world (or had ANYWHERE to play, for that matter), I might hang on to it. Just for poops and giggles, as they say. But the two distortion pedals I already own and don't use have me covered for the time being. It will make somebody (with one of the above aforementioned three pedals they want to trade me) very happy, no doubt.

6. saltydude

saltydude

Aug 15, 2011
    boston CANADA
    cool cool. Well you didn’t specify which Archetype “pedal” but I only know of maybe 6 total including both the boost and preamp versions. 7 if you include the Triopticon.

7. jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    I knew the Archetype was rare, but didn't realize there were multiple incarnations. I think I've only seen one picture of one around here. I know it's a long shot, but you can't win if you don't play.

8. kranahan

Aug 19, 2009
    San Francisco Bay Area
    There's the Archetype Valve Boost and Archetype Valve Preamp.

9. saltydude

saltydude

Aug 15, 2011
    boston CANADA
    If you google images Broughton Archetype you’ll see them all.
    Boost
    Preamp
    Rack version
    And technically the Triopticon which is in the family but not well known and a One Off.

There’s Four versions

10. jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    Thanks for the tip. I did not know about the distinction between the boost and preamp pedals. If given the choice, I'd likely prefer the preamp pedal, but that is pure conjecture. I vaguely recall hearing of this Triopticon of which you speak. I certainly would not trade a rack pre for a pedal (I mean, as the guy with the pedal, I would, but I doubt the owner of the rack would). Since I highly doubt I will be offered any of them, it is a moot point. But it's handy to know, thanks.

11. kranahan

Aug 19, 2009
    San Francisco Bay Area
    And the newest Archetype Pre (unless it is the same as the rack pre). So 5 if you count the Triopticon. Boost Pedal, Preamp Pedal, Rack Pre, New Pre and Triopticon.

12. saltydude

saltydude

Aug 15, 2011
    boston CANADA
    good call. You’re correct. There’s now 5 versions. The rack mount utilizes 3 tubes. Only a few out there along with the rest of the pedals. Along with the wishing star rack mount. Similar but all dirt.

Attached Files:

kranahan likes this.
  13. cosmicevan

cosmicevan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Disregarding the archetype flavor discussion, the venn diagram of ownership is likely going to be the challenge here (methinks). Kinda like all squares are parallelograms...all archetype owners likely have or have tried a locust star.

good luck though...fun post.

14. esoxhntr

esoxhntr Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Markham, Ontario
    You did not mention the velcro... while lacking in toan enhancing pet hair, it is nicely applied.

15. jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    Shhhhh! Don't remind them!

16. jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    What it lacks in pet hair it more than makes up for in skillful application. I only wish I could take credit. The previous owner had the velcro professionally applied.

17. jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    That's a lot of tubes.

18. labeledbass

labeledbass Supporting Member

May 24, 2015
    Keep the rat, purchase the boost, and forget the rest IMHO

Do you have a Solarian? adding it with treble boosted to the Locust is really close to Helion

19. jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    Oh, you know I intend to try to snag one soon. But my track record of snagging things straight from Broughton is shoddy at best.

I do have a Solarian. I may have to give that a shot. Thanks.

labeledbass likes this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021