Brougthon HPF/LPF Power

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mrcbass, Jun 17, 2021.

1. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    I have and love the HPF/LPF pedal. I notice that it can be powered by multiple voltage power supplies. I currently run it off of 18 volts, but am considering running it off of a battery. It appears that the peddle can use 1 9v battery.

Is there any performance degradation based on power voltage? Is the multiple voltage option just for convenience?

TIA

2. kranahan

kranahan Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2009
    San Francisco Bay Area
    From the website:

“The pedal can be powered by a 9V battery or a DC power supply (not included). The DC supply should be a standard Boss style connector, center negative polarity. It can accept 9 to 24 volts. Although 9 volts is sufficient for most applications, higher voltages will provide more headroom when using the pedal with hotter signals. The current draw is approximately 10 mA.”

3. BrettR

BrettR

Mar 30, 2021
    Edmonton, Alberta
    If I may add a question to this thread, aside from being able to toggle it on and off, is there any other reason to get the bigger HPF than the Always On one? I know the Always On one doesn't have markings on the dial for the frequency, but is that it?

4. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    The HPF/LPF doesn't have frequency markings either - I just adjust until it sounds good in the room I'm in.

5. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    or does it?
    brought.PNG

6. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    :sour: Oops. My bad. I guess you can tell how much I rely on the numbers - it really is a twist until I like what I hear. Never even pay attention to the numbers.

BassBuzzRS likes this.
  7. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    I don't have one yet, but I often think I should buy one. I have the SFX MicroThumpinator and it takes care of 30hz and below in an excellent way, but is that enough, do you think?
    I don't have one yet, but I often think I should buy one. I have the SFX MicroThumpinator and it takes care of 30hz and below in an excellent way, but is that enough, do you think?

8. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    I have no basis for comparison. I love my Broughton - easily the best money ever spent to help control my sound. HPF Takes the boominess right out of any room; LPF cuts back on any hiss coming from my compressor. Only two pedals on my board and won't leave home without them.

Laklandfan likes this.
  9. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Nothing wrong with that. Doing it by ear is actually the best way to adjust a HPF.

10. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

If the Thumpinator is working for you then there’s no crushing need to get something else.

When it cones to a HPF there’s a certain sweet spot that will vary with the bass and rig you’re playing. Hard to describe it, but when you dial it in you’ll know it immediately. So if that sweet spot can be found within the frequency range the Thumpinator covers, it doesn’t make sense to replace it with another HPF.

BassBuzzRS and VitoMB like this.
  11. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Yes but, have you looked at it recently? I seem to recall that the markings on Broughton filters have changed over the years. Like, if your HLPF is old enough, maybe there are no numbers. You should look and report back.

12. cusar5

cusar5

Feb 17, 2008
    Planet Iommia
    It sounds much better at 18v in my experience.

VitoMB likes this.
  13. VitoMB

VitoMB

Sep 28, 2019
    Quebec, Canada
    I use mine at 18v with my active bass. Never looked back.

14. Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    18v makes the light way brighter.

15. burgerdj

burgerdj

Dec 4, 2006
    Cool! I’ve been powering my Always On with 9v. Looking forward to trying it with 18v. It’s a fantastic tool!

16. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Yeah, it'll be shining up in your face like one of those floodlights that you see in Hollywood at movie premiers.

:laugh:

I ended up getting LED diffusers for my Apex and L+HPF. That helped, but they're still really bright! Fantastic tools, though.

17. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    That's exactly what I did when I was corrected....

18. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    Update: Tried it with a 9v feed and it seems to be fine. I don't have a hot signal and like a very clean sound: (passive) P Bass>Compressor>HPF/LPF>amp

19. I highly recommend this pedal, even if you have the Thumpinator. The HP will still sound good set to taste, and in no way will it be redundant. And the LP is indispensable. Make IE’s sound amazing, and cuts string noise and hiss. I find it enhances my mids when set right!

20. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    I caved! Will be nice to incorporate into the board. We are using IEM's, but I still have a small cab on stage.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021