"Brown Notes" fact or myth??

Discussion in 'Bass Humor [DB]' started by Bob Gollihur, Feb 15, 2005.

1. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I saw that the TV show "Mythbusters" are going after the urban legend of the Brown Note.

Mythbusters program

"Adam puts his body to the test for science. Will he be able to withstand subsonic frequencies, or will adult diapers be his only hope with the Brown Note? Jamie and Adam put the legend Hollywood gunfights to the test, but can you really be blown away?"

It's on the Discovery channel, Wed 9pm, Thurs 12am, and Fri 3pm
  2. Mike Goodbar

Mike Goodbar Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Charlotte, NC
    I can barely contain myself.
  3. Will Yoko and Kenny G be appearing?
  4. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Great duet name idea: Ono, G!

or, how 'bout:

Kenny in the key of G. But, Yoko? No-key-dokey. But, hokey.

THAT wasn't worth posting, but I already went to the trouble of typing it out.....
  5. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    BTW, BG, I don't have a TV, so make sure and let us know how 'things came out in the (out of the?) end'.

6. You betta off.
  7. Bob, I thought your business kept you pretty busy?
  8. nrcafootball68

Nov 26, 2004
    its true. im not sure what the note would be but the frequency is 40 hertz
  9. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    No wonder you play so frickin' great.
  10. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Playin' bass totally whips ANY TV show!
  11. Even American Idol??? :ninja: :bag: :help:
  12. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    AI would have a chance of they showed X-Rated side-stage scenes :)
  13. Well, i'd like to be the first one to report that it didn't work.
    They even went above the suggested amout of power....no poop!
  14. Interesting program. Those guys have a very nifty of making a living.
  15. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    I had a problem with their testing method. The "subject" was about 3' from the speakers. He never felt queasy. The observers, all standing 30'-50' away, did report feeling queasy and anxious.

They were using frequencies ranging from about 9Hz up to 30Hz (though once they did sweep up through to 100Hz). I'm pretty sure they were using sine waves. Anyway, those frequencies have very long waveforms. If you were to be standing at a node point of one of those ultra-low frequencies, you'd be much more effected. The node points of those ultra-low frequencies just happen to range from about 30' to 50'.

3' from the speakers, the waveforms haven't fully developed. I don't think that was at all an accurate test, and I think Mr. Meyer knows that.

But hey, its TV, not science.
  16. Heifetzbass

Heifetzbass Commercial User

Feb 6, 2004
    Upstate, SC
    Owner, Gencarelli Bass Works and Fine String Instruments, LLC.

You should email these concerns to the show. They have re-tested some of the myths due to faulty methodology. I agree with you on the sine waves.

17. Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    You would think those hippie meyer sound guys would realize that. Oh well.
  18. mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    There's an episode in Margaret Chaney's "Tesla: Man Out of Time" that may shed some light on this matter. I don't have Cheney's book at hand, but I found this summary of an even mentioned by Cheney in a paper on the web at UCB by a Katherine Krumme:
    Yet another excitement awaited Tesla’s visitors at the laboratory. Tesla had been perfecting a mechanical oscillator, a sort of engine that would produce alternating current of a high frequency. The inventor had noticed an interesting effect of the machine: it produced significant [low frequency] vibrations. Tesla wondered if these vibrations might have therapeutic or health benefits, and one day when Mark Twain was at his lab the author asked if he might experience these vibrations himself.

As the story goes, Mr. Twain stood on a platform of the machine while Tesla set the oscillator into operation. Twain was enjoying himself greatly and exclaimed: “This gives you vigour and vitality.”

After some time Tesla warned the writer that he should come down, but Twain was having fun and he refused. Tesla again insisted, but Twain stayed on the machine for several minutes more until, suddenly, he exclaimed: “Quick, Tesla. Where is it?”

Tesla directed his friend to the restroom. Twain had experienced
    first hand what had been known to the laboratory workers for some time: the laxative effect of the machine’s vibrations.