Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BROWN sound kit

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jondog, Aug 9, 2002.

1. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I need one of these. This is from an academic art article.
    _______

Two other works by Kersels implicate the haptic sense on beholders more directly. Brown Sound Kit (1993) consists of a machine designed to transmit a sound which purportedly has the effect of releasing the bowels of human beings. This machine has fascist origins in Nazi technologies designed to render individuals incapable of resistance. A similar machine was reportedly used by the French military to dissipate crowds of students during the Paris riots of 1968. Kersel’s Brown Sound Kit is displayed as an arrangement of speaker, amplifier, oscillator and orange fibreglass carrying case, evocative of its potential rather than actual, haptic effects. In actual operation, the oscillator would produce an amplified tone which is heard, but primarily felt. Brown Sound Kit is displayed “unplugged.” While the display of this haptic technology “to unplug” gallery viewers immediately and literally evokes some rather hilarious bathroom humour – especially given the tight-assed normativity of gallery viewing – this installation also raises more serious issues pertaining to the coercive control of bodies.
    :D

2. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    i heard of those.......can u rig it up to a low b???

id have those bowels'a'groovin in no time ;)

:D

3. if I see one of these for sale I'm going to break my "just say no" to bass effects rule. I'd love to see a crowd of people at a show let go of their bowels all at once! Now that's rock and roll BABY!!!