Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

brown truck drove past my house today at lunch...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by robb., May 10, 2004.

1. i received a warwick quadruplet preamp. i haven't even had a chance to check it out yet, but i expect great things. i'll post a report this evening after i use it in rehearsal. until i buy a power amp, i'm borrowing a peavey GPS 1500 from the lab to power my bergantino HT-112.

w00t!

robb.

2. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Just picked one up recently myself.

Nice tone variety with the 4-way selection. Scooped on the two mid controls, on #4...nice straight up all around rock tone. Get a nice nasally but thick tone on #2 with the bass boost engaged.

Not a very common pre stateside. I'm not a huge fan of current warwick basses, but this pre, and the 410 they make a great.

I push a QSC RMX-2450 through BagEnd D10B-D and S15B-D.

Great all around rig.

3. i've played their quad VI head a couple times before at elderly instruments in lansing, MI with really enjoyable results. i felt like the quadruplet was a known quantity, even though i've never actually played one, and it's fairly rare. with a good power amp, it's more of a good thing.

i got it at a pretty good price, too, but not good enough to brag about.

it's strange, though, that i didn't really like any of the tones i got with a warwick bass through the quad VI. i guess i'll just have to stick with a sterling for my gold standard tone.

robb.

4. i have never sounded better. the quadruplet has a thick, but articulate sound that i have never achieved with anything else. as much as i loved the tone i got from my former ampeg SVP-BSP, i understand why i had to sell it. the warwick destroys it.

i was able to get so many different tones, from great pick tones to nasally finger funk, to thick and deep. i must've gotten at least a dozen different tones at rehearsal last night that all sounded good.

the quadrumatrix switch is really sweet. i used all four positions quite often for different songs and feels and each was a really useful launch point from which to further tweak the EQ.

i also had more headroom than i've been used to playing with since i got a bergantino HT-112. i was powering it with a peavey GPS 1500 power amp, bridging 1100W into 8 Ohms. i had plenty of current reserve to power huge, blooming low notes that weren't muddy in the least.

it was more fun than i've had playing bass in a while. this is definitely a keeper. now all i need is a power amp, and my rig is done for the forseeable future. no GAS here.

robb.