1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Brownsville 6 String At Sam Ash For $249! Is It A Good Deal? I Need Your Help....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by de la mocha, Apr 1, 2006.

1. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    [​IMG]

If you've ever wanted to branch out to 6-string bass but thought they where priced out of reach, Brownsville has a bass you'll be proud to own! Made of lightweight basswood and topped with select quilted maple, the UB600 comes with two custom voiced J-Style pickups, 2-band EQ, pickup selector knob and master volume. The bolt-on hard maple neck has a rosewood fingerboard with offset dot inlays. Additional features include fully adjustable BB-206 bridge with string-thru-body design, chrome hardware and sealed die-cast tuners. Sunburst finish. Case not included.

Model Name UB600 6-String Bass
    Series
    Body Basswood body with quilted Maple top.
    Neck Bolt-on Hard Maple
    Machine Heads Sealed die-cast tuners
    Fingerboard Rosewood
    Frets 24 Medium
    Pickups 2 J-Style Pickups
    Controls 2-band EQ, pickup selector knob and master volume.
    Bridge Fully adjustable BB-206 Bridge
    Hardware Chrome Hardware
    Case Not Included
    Pickguard NA

I played one yesterday and it seemed managable, but a little on the "plank" side. I think the neck is kind of ugly, but the tone was very warm and strong. Is this a good bass for entering into the six string territory? :help:

2. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I've never heard of that brand but here's some other things to watch out for: is the bass well-balanced? As they claim it has a light body, the bass may be neck divey. The next time you go there, try it with a strap on.
    The pickups look cool but they look as if they might be prone to hum as they look like single coils. I'd check if the hum is not too bad and if it's silent when both pickups are on.

3. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    They didn't hum in the store, put I only played it for ten minites. I didn't have a strap, but did not notice any neck dives. I'm not formiliar with the brand either, and I really think I didn't play it long enough to really critique this bass as I was on my lunch break.