Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Brownsville Bat Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Infamous Bax, Jan 14, 2003.

1. Infamous Bax

Infamous Bax

Apr 14, 2002
    Orlando, Fl
    Got one of these basses. I think the body shape is really cool. It also has a cool bat inlay at the 12th fret. It has one bridge pick up which is where I play at (the bridge). I fixed the action, raised the pick up and added some other things to it and now I have to say for a cheap bass I have really enjoyed playing it a lot. Does anyone know anything about Brownsville or the Bat Bass? Why was this bass so cheap?

Listen to bass solos at.....
    www.theinfamousbax.com

2. Infamous Bax

Infamous Bax

Apr 14, 2002
    Orlando, Fl
    Just in case you want to see it for yourself.

3. odie

odie Supporting Member

Bax- I will have to say this. :) That is the worst picture of a bass posted onTB!! Maybe try something a little bit bigger. Should be able to find one online somewhere.

4. Infamous Bax

Infamous Bax

Apr 14, 2002
    Orlando, Fl
    I know. I was too lazy to find another pic after I posted the other. If you really are interested in seeing what it looks like its real easy to find on the net. I'll try to find a better pic.

5. Infamous Bax

Infamous Bax

Apr 14, 2002
    Orlando, Fl
    That's her. Evil isn't she?

6. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    Seems cool, wierd strap setting though. And anyone else think those tuners look like they could snap because their so skinny? I have the same ones on my Cort but they seem more beefier. :)

7. Infamous Bax

Infamous Bax

Apr 14, 2002
    Orlando, Fl
    ...the tuners to my other basses and they seem to be the same size. No problems with them snapping yet.

8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Brownsvill is a Sam Ash company like Carlo Robelli. I played one & I actually I didn't think it was that bad & for $200, it's kinda cool. I had my son & daughter with me when I was playing thew bass & Nino Jr said, "It's BatMan's bass."

9. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Hm, I was kind'a hoping some creative person had turned his/her bassball bat into good use...:(

10. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Hmmm...looks like an SG bass, with the rear chewed-off

11. StarscreamG1

StarscreamG1

Dec 17, 2007
    Hey whaddaya know, I found a thread on the Bat. I wonder if the OP is still around? I am glad I am keeping my Bat after all. And yes it does look like Batman's bass.

I know these posts are way old but I figure I'd chime in too. The tuners on mine at least to me do feel a bit cheesy as well as the way the pup sounds. Maybe I got a cast off?? Other than that its a nice axe. The placement of the strap buttons I think are very cool and I don't think the bottom one could have been put anywheres else and worked out. It sits fine on you the way they are positioned now.

Interesting to note that the bridge on it is a Tune-Matic like what you see on Les Pauls. I shudder to think of what I'd go through to replace it if something ever happened to it. Anyone have any idea where one would get a Tune-Matic for a 4 banger?

Are there any other bat owners on this board? Or is it just basically me and the OP??

Also, since I am changing the pup on my Bat I have thought of doing a few other things to it as well. Running a few things in my mind but I am curious on opinions and curious to know what any of /you/ out there would do to spice it up if you had a Brownsville Bat to mod? ^_^

12. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    I'e seen those tune-o-matic bass bridges around before, can't be that hard to find.

As for upgrades, a Hipshot Drop Key is always a good option. :D

13. StarscreamG1

StarscreamG1

Dec 17, 2007
    Hehe I knew I was forgetting something in my spelling of 'Tune -o - matic' LOL It just didn't look /right/

I was thinking of a drop key and was thinking of getting open back fender style tuners for it too but the headstock doesn't have that much room and I honestly don't think a set of fender style tuners and the drop D key will fit. I think I am stuck with those small closed back tuners. But I know there has to be better ones out there. I dunno, I guess its tuners aren't /that/ bad, maybe Im just used to the the better ones on my peaveys and fender.

These are the things I am thinking of doing to my bat:

Defret it, roll the board, better machine heads and of course swap out pups. If there is some hotter model of Tune-o-matic bridge out there for it, I'd swap that out as well. And thats about all Id do to it. Not much but for a beginner..thats a lot. LOL

I will do a google for a bass tune-o-matic and start from there. ^_^

14. StarscreamG1

StarscreamG1

Dec 17, 2007
    wow that was fast!! I found a Tune-o-matic for a bass and I just realized something. Mine is a string through body thereby by-passing the tail piece that most tune-o-matics come with (as far as I know). That shouldn't matter should it?

15. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    Hipshot Ultralights, small as your closed tuners, but open backed, way lighter, and they also have a Drop D ultralight.:)

Only matters in the fact that you don't actually need a tailpiece as well.;)

16. StarscreamG1

StarscreamG1

Dec 17, 2007
    ^_^ Thankie Darkstrike!! I of course will be taking pics as I go along with this and the plan is to have it done by the end of the year. I do have to get my Foundation4 back up and my Dyna too and they come first but no harm in getting ideas and getting the parts to have at it with the Bat. I have also read the stickies on here about defretting. Im not saying its easy bit it doesnt seem /as/ complicated as one might first think. My biggest thing is trying to figure out what to fill the fret grooves in with when Im done. Right now its got those JUMBO frets in it and I really don't care for those...

17. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    Well, most use thin wood veneers, or putty, but you could use some binding, that would work just as well.

18. StarscreamG1

StarscreamG1

Dec 17, 2007
    I saw one tutorial where the guy used some black padding from some type of carpet??? It looked really good when he was done. I also read where putty can be hard to work with on the edges of the fretboard? I don't know if using putty would help me or hurt me since I want to roll the edges of the fretboard. Are there really any 'don'ts' as far as what one can use to fill in the grooves when they defret? I mean as long as it fills the gap and is flush with the fretboard wood it shouldnt' matter?

19. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    Pretty much, some just grind the frets to the board, leavin the metal tangs as lines, which isn't so good as they will wear at a different rate than the wood. Putty is easiest, but looks worst. Wood veneers lood great, and arent much harder to do. I dunno about that carpet liner technique. Binding, won't be much different than wood, mabye a little easier, seems to work for Fender.