1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Browsing Craigslist, Reverb, etc. with no money

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by NoSlapForYou, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Why do I do this to myself?

I saw a StingRay for $950 with the auction ending in 7 hours. What's the point of torturing myself by looking at great deals I can't afford? Yet I feel like I spend more and more time doing this each month.

I just moved and have yet to start my new job. I should probably wait until I get my first paycheck at least.

Luigir, Mili, 123Nil and 14 others like this.
  2. I do that too, no idea why. I know I shouldn't but I cant help myself!

Luigir, Mili, 123Nil and 6 others like this.
  3. Assuming by your user name you were born in 1980. Me too. Maybe it's a generational thing? Haha

4. You got it Dr Watson, maybe so. Funny, I never used to be like this with instruments, always happy with gear so long as it functions. I blame TB!

5. Go to the bank, take out a loan. Buy Basses. Get your priorities straight, mister.

basslifter, 3bc, JPaulGeddy and 8 others like this.
  6. Thinking about getting a credit card for the first time in my life. I need to "build up" my credit anyway, right?

123Nil, trueno87 and alanloomis1980 like this.
  7. Attaboy!!

BOOG likes this.
  8. Also, I need an amp upgrade way more than I need a bass upgrade. I look at amps occasionally, but usually I'm looking at basses. I guess I find amps utilitarian and basses to be exciting and irresistible.

trueno87, basslifter and NoSlapForYou like this.
  9. That might work. Interest might eat up your good deal savings though. I think sweetwater and others have no interest financing, and that should build up credit score just the same. Such a messed up system, you need to be in debt to be deemed "financially responsible "

TREYontheBASS and NoSlapForYou like this.
  10. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    NO. If you can't afford to pay off the entire amount each month, you can't afford it.

11. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I'm constantly browsing too. But I'm mainly looking for ridiculous deals. I've found a few. Honestly, a Ray for just under a grand isn't a steal. It's not bad. But it isn't incredible.

lowendrachel likes this.
  12. The problem with Sweetwater's payment plans is that they require a credit check, I believe. Need to make my credit good first.

Maybe they'll be swayed by the fact that I've spent a poopieload of money there in the last couple of years?

13. Also, most of Sweetwater's stuff is new. I'm talking about when you see a V4B for $600 in a town 15 minutes away from you and you wonder if they'd accept one of your kidneys in trade.

Not that I don't have GAS for brand new stuff too.

mikewalker likes this.
  14. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Payment plans are a great way to rope you into a situation you can't get out of. Start putting all your change every day into a container, along with your beer and Starbucks, etc. money. Take leftovers to work for lunch rather than McDonalds or the food truck.

Seriously.

15. I do this all the time too. I think a lot of it stems (for me) from growing up poor and looking through catalogs at the school library and making "shopping lists" of items to build a bass or R/C cars that I could never afford.

I still look through Warmoth a couple times a week and wish I could buy a p-bass body and neck. But with family and money tight it's just not feasible. Dreams and such. Let the good times roll...

16. Can’t speak for Sweetwater but on at least some of those no interest financing plans, if you don’t get it paid off in the specified period they hit you with all the back interest. As was said above, you’re better off saving up, take it from someone who is still digging out of a bad financial spot.

Rojd, dan1952, S-Bigbottom and 5 others like this.
  17. StringslamDan

StringslamDan

Nov 18, 2012
    This is exactly why I keep an emergency Bass gear fund! I've got a hord of amps, cabs, and basses that I scored stupid cheap off Craigslist! Few examples; Gk 400rb $100 bucks, Peavey T-max head and tvx410 can $150 bucks, Peavey 115bxbw $50, squier classic vibe p bass $100..etc You can't pass this stuff up lol

NoSlapForYou likes this.
  18. Honestly, I don't need a payment plan once I get back to full time work in a few weeks. My rent and other expenses are low. I can buy a cheaper piece of equipment simply by being frugal for a couple of weeks. More expensive stuff requires some planning.

Now whether it's a good idea to devote half of my paycheck to buying gear is another question.

I'm 38 and have never owned a credit card. I wouldn't worry too much about me going down the "financing" path. I know it's a bad idea. Sweetwater's three-installment option is not bad though. Not really much different than putting something on layaway.

TREYontheBASS likes this.
  19. N4860

N4860

Mar 28, 2017
    Kitchener
    There's nothing really wrong with a payment plan if you can afford the gear. There's been plenty of instances where I could buy something outright but I'd rather just pay $40.00 a month for a year or 2 and have the flexibility in case I need money for a big expenditure (like fixing something on the house). Then you can just pay off the instrument 6 months down the line anyway if you get a nice bonus or save a bit more than normal.

I didn't have the cash to buy my house so I signed up for a payment plan for that (mortgage). Nothing wrong with that, right?

20. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Mortgages are different.

1. Almost no one has that kind of cash.
    2. We have no choice. We have to live somewhere, rented or owned. Musical instruments are not a necessity.
    3. The interest is deductible on your taxes.

Financial freedom is a wonderful thing.

3bc, Plectrum72, mikeyjm2 and 6 others like this.