1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Browsing Craigslist, Reverb, etc. with no money

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by NoSlapForYou, Mar 13, 2019 at 5:12 PM.

1. Relsom

Relsom Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    I've been doing quite a bit of buying/selling/trading over the last few years. Any cash outlay comes from within my gear fund. As long as I don't dip into household money, all's good on the homefront.

2. Get one!
    You need to build up your DEBT.
    I don't want to be the only one...

Actually, I often avoid even looking, I don't want to stumble on that good deal I can't pass up.

NoSlapForYou likes this.
  3. interp

interp Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    I strongly advise against bank or credit card financing of music equipment. You end up paying so much more, and are much more vulnerable to compulsive buying. If you want to build up your credit, make regular deposits into your bank account and use a debit card when you have accumulated enough to buy what you want. This way you establish a record of financial discipline and avoid financing charges.

4. brocket

brocket

Sep 12, 2017
    Coastal NC
    And you don't know if you've found a deal, ridiculous or otherwise, unless you've been keeping an eye on prices. Also, I've found that browsing for deals and asking "why is it priced so low?" when I find one helps build my knowledge base of what's a deal and what's just cheap.

two fingers likes this.
  5. the general

the general

Jul 8, 2008
    It's ok to look. It's called research :thumbsup: I find myself looking a lot too and I blame TB ENTIRELY! Hahaha. And while technically I can afford the basses I want, there's 2 things that stop me: 1) The basses I want aren't anywhere around here for me to try to see if I like them. And I don't want to go through the hassle of reselling them if I don't like them. 2) I have bigger goals that's I'm working towards and basses aren't high on my priority list.

I guess if I practiced more, was in a band, or a working musician, then maybe basses/gear would be a bit higher on my list. As long as the owners of any StingRay(s) take care of them, there will always be a StingRay around that you can buy. Maybe at an even lower price :woot:

alanloomis1980 likes this.
  6. bassplayer9512

bassplayer9512

Sep 26, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    There is a guys selling a cherry burst Sting Ray 5 for $800 that is mint in my area that is torturing me!

7. Hey, go ahead and Throw in a new case and strap!

alanloomis1980 likes this.
  8. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Most times I’m cruising Reverb or the TB classifieds I don’t have the money to spend either. I’ve got a very strict gear budget/savings plan in place for myself. And should I make a major purchase, or a few smaller ones, the available balance in my gear fund takes awhile to recover.

But I found cruising while you’re not buying is still beneficial because it gives you a sense of the market. You start to get a feel for the going prices and how prices are trending for the things you’re interested in. That’s helpful in identifying what’s overpriced and what’s a bargain. And getting a feel for price trends is helpful in knowing how soon you want to plan on buying or selling. Or whether you’re better off holding off for the time being.

Being knowledgeable about the market you’re in, whether its stocks and bonds or music gear, is never a bad thing if you want to avoid getting eaten alive.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019 at 8:53 AM
  9. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    “You can look at the menu but you can’t eat.”

10. JZQuantum

JZQuantum Supporting Member

Oct 12, 2008
    I buy everything music-related in cash. If I don't have the cash, then I don't get the gear. Buying anything on revolving credit is an easy way to get underwater financially very quickly unless you have very good financial discipline. Before you know it, boom, your credit score is damaged severely.

It is definitely ok to look at basses you can't afford (or go to a guitar store to play them for a while). If doing so is torturing you, I would take a break from looking for a while. When you have cash, go buy it. There will always be an amazing deal on the bass brand of your choice. If you have some things you can sell to fund your new bass, then do that first (old TVs, other electronics you don't use, new bass strings you have not opened yet, anything). You would be amazed at how much untapped money you have sitting in your house.

11. xbud

xbud

Nov 9, 2012
    Southwestern, PA
    I do the same, issue is TB!! Every time I go through TB I see a mention of something new and cool, and being in a rural area without a "good music store" within reasonable driving distance, I have no choice but to trust the opinions expressed on here, and the product reviews, and hope that my instincts were correct.

12. I love my strap, but could use a double gig bag!

pappabass likes this.
  13. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    Not sure how i did it, so I can't recommend a path, but (sorry folks) I've been ridiculously happy with the gear I own, and have no gas at the moment. In fact, I've been selling stuff...
    Now, don't get me wrong. This is an "at the moment" kinda thing, and could change. My thinking is that If something comes along that seems too amazing not to get, I'll have some funds via sold gear ready to go.
    [EDIT]
    Hope this doesn't get me kicked off TB...

14. MVE

MVE

Aug 8, 2010
    Almost 20 years ago now, I was a fresh faced dandy right out of college and I had just moved to Chicago and started playing music at open mics. The first real DAWs were just coming out and I decided to use my CC to finance a decent setup.
    I got a Mackie mixer, computer, Mackie monitors, UAD card, several good mics and stands cables, etc... All in, was just under 8k or so.
    It took me almost 10 years to finally pay off that CC, but I don’t regret it for a second.
    My apartment became a local Mecca as I recorded all my friends from the open mics for thier various projects.
    I got an education in recording, mixing and production.
    And I have a few, self-produced albums that sound every bit as good as some studio productions, and so much better than a few friends that threw almost as much money away to actually go into a real studio for a day or two.
    Sure, I never did change the world, but I took a shot and I changed my life.
    Im now a financially secure 40 something. 8-10k is still a lot of money to me, as it is to anyone, but its a lot less than I have in the bank.
    Im not sure what the moral of my story is, but if I had waited until I saved up enough money to buy all of that stuff, it probably never would have happened and my life today might be filled with some questions and regret.
    ...It’s just dirty green paper.

alanloomis1980 and N4860 like this.
  15. Skullheadrac

Skullheadrac

Jun 13, 2018
    So Cal
    This is actually how i built my credit over 10 years ago. Sam Ash had all those 18 months no payment-no interest credit cards. This is also back when you could haggle with them pretty well on the price. I bought quite a few things that way. I knew i had cash coming a few months later and it all worked out great.

NoSlapForYou likes this.
  16. Boundary Effect

Boundary Effect Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    It is good practice to lose out most of the potential transactions one spots on-line. So get use to the feeling. One's attachment potentially makes for bad decisions.

17. Johnny21

Johnny21

Mar 19, 2018
    NJ
    Cos its fun to :)

Bought a bunch of stuff because I was “just looking”.

NoSlapForYou likes this.
  18. higain617

higain617

Sep 12, 2013
    WA
    I think the problem is the preponderance of McMansions. If you have limited space, it will curb your spending habits and desire for more stuff. I still browse despite being out of space, though.

19. Don't pay interest on anything but your house. Debt is bad for your mental health.

I started my gear buying journey by selling off some extra golf clubs on CL. Now I'm going through the garage and the shed to see what else I can sell to fund more gear. If you can build up a little cash fund dedicated to your gear then you can pounce on a deal when it pops up. Sell off your old stuff to buy new stuff.

A good credit score is important. Get a credit card with rewards and use it BUT only charge what you can pay off when the bill comes in. Don't keep a revolving balance and pay interest. That's just throwing away money you could use to buy more gear.

Live below your means. When you're old like me you'll be glad you did.

NoSlapForYou likes this.
  20. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    You aren't taking into account the 30% discount they are entitled to just for making the offer.

NoSlapForYou likes this.