1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Browsing Craigslist, Reverb, etc. with no money

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by NoSlapForYou, Mar 13, 2019 at 5:12 PM.

1. BurtMacklinFBI

BurtMacklinFBI Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2018
    Personally I wouldn’t even look if I didn’t have a bit of cash, the temptation to spend beyond my means might be too much. That’s just me though, as usual YMMMV.

NoSlapForYou likes this.
  2. JPaulGeddy

JPaulGeddy

Sep 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    I just cleared out a ton of searches from my Reverb feed after buying/building one.

But I did not turn them ALL off... whyyyyyyyy

NoSlapForYou likes this.
  3. xnewyorka

xnewyorka Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2006
    NYC Area
    CORRECT - look what TB has done to me in just a year, when I already had way more basses than I needed!!!
    I am thinking about suing.
    20180907_163741.

I am very happy to report that I have finally turned a corner. I sold one bass, posted another one for sale, and started sending all of my unused funds to my mortgage lender instead of to other TB users. One sold, 55 to go. Baby steps, but it's a start...

4. JPaulGeddy

JPaulGeddy

Sep 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    I'm just jealous of that stack of boxes. Such a pain/expense to acquire those when you're a casual seller.

NoSlapForYou likes this.
  5. BEADG63

BEADG63 Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Buffalo, NY
    ^^^
    Truth. That being said, MF and Sweetwater both offer deals to pay over time with 0% interest. I use this for when I really want/need something but don't have the cash right away, within reason. Credit cards ALWAYS get paid in full every month, no matter how much the balance is.

NoSlapForYou likes this.
  6. Holy cow! I'm not even a typical TBer. I've got 2 basses and 2 Amps. I dream about upgrading my squier to a fender and my rumble 100 to a 200 (adding the 200 actually, that 100 is great)

I wonder if I do end up getting those wishlist items- will this gear make the gas go away, or will I find more to dream about??

Rojd likes this.
  7. xnewyorka

Jun 26, 2006
    NYC Area
    You can go to GuitarCenter (or probably any music store) and get boxes. The trick is that you don't even need to walk into the store. On a non-rainy day, go around the back to the big green cardboard dumpster. The boxes go straight into there as soon as they opened. Bring some gloves and wear work clothes in case you need to climb down in to reach them. But it's really clean because it's strictly cardboard in there. I have gotten many that way when I needed a box in a size I didn't have.
    If you make friends with an employee, you might be able to convince them to put one aside for you to pick up as long as you don't inconvenience them too much. It's always good to have a nice rapport with a local employee just in case you ever need preferential treatment for something. They may be happy to help knowing that you are a potential future customer.
    Also, you can ask the store manager if they know what the pickup schedule is for the recycling, and if there is any particular day of the week and time of day when your dumpster dive is likely to be most fruitful. For example, my local store told me to come on Wednesday early afternoons.

8. neddyrow

neddyrow Captain of Team Orange Jacket

Apr 21, 2011
    Cortland, NY
    I enjoy window shopping at gear i'll never buy. like someone else said, it's better than TV

the part I don't agree with is when you are the seller and someone who has no money or intent to buy, start asking questions like they are going to buy. or, they start offering you parts to a motorcycle or a fridge as trade.

window shopping is cool....wasting the seller's time is not

NoSlapForYou likes this.
  9. JPaulGeddy

JPaulGeddy

Sep 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    This is all true. Unfortunately, my nearby GC has been uncooperative to openly hostile to even asking the last few times I've tried, and their recycling/dumpsters aren't accessible. Jerks.

10. xnewyorka

Jun 26, 2006
    NYC Area
    That is the never-ending question. It's a matter of your personal willpower. If you look at all the GAS threads on here you'll see the topic has been covered hundreds of times. Many people are governed by the formula "n+1" where n is the number of things you currently have, and n+1 is the number of things you want. The trouble is that n is an infinitely increasing number.
    18 months ago I had 13 basses, which was about 10 more than I could reasonably justify. Then my mom passed away and I inherited a pile of cash, and suddenly the cash all disappeared, and 65 more basses took its place. Believe me, each time I bought one I said it was the last one, and I couldn't possibly justify one more. Yet one more came anyway. Like I said, I am finally at the point where I can honestly not imaging ever finding a better 4-string or a better 5-string than some of the ones I now have, and because of that, I have finally managed to stop buying more. Of course, reality is that there IS a better one out there, I know that. But I realize that it is not going to make me ONE BIT better as a player, so I need to only focus on PRACTICING instead of thinking about what else I could buy to play better or sound better.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019 at 11:57 AM
    NoSlapForYou and alanloomis1980 like this.
  11. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Is there any special reason you think GC should go out of their way to cheat themselves out of business? You can always take it to GC and sell/trade. They want a cut of the action.

12. Monterey Bay-ss

Monterey Bay-ss Supporting Member

Snort laughed at the title. I haven't even read anything but had to say so. I get it, man.

NoSlapForYou likes this.
  13. xnewyorka

Jun 26, 2006
    NYC Area
    Here's a perfect GAS example. I got this incredible 4-string a few months ago:

It is the most awesome 4-string I have ever played, and it can do pretty much anything imaginable tone-wise - jazz, precision, MM, etc. There is no need to ever get another 4-string was my conclusion after playing it. In fact, there is no reason to even OWN any other 4-string, period. I will keep my beloved Fodera Monarch, but everything else can go. I am totally done ever looking at 4-strings.

And then I went to NAMM, and out of curiousity I tried out this bass, and was completely blown away (as was everyone else who played it):

Even though I don't like blue at all, and certainly not blue basses, and definitely not the ridiculous sparkles, I HAD to buy it anyway, because it is the best playing and sounding "jazz bass" I have ever played. (It can be called a jazz bass because it has 2 single coil pickups, but it has a 2-octave neck, which for me is really a requirement for me to be completely satisfied with the instrument.)

NoSlapForYou likes this.
  14. clayworx

clayworx Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2012
    Virginia
    Perhaps, but 48 month no interest loan is hard to pass up if you REALLLLY have to have it right??

NoSlapForYou likes this.
  15. Man what a story. I dont know if I'm in danger of that many, ever, just my personality. I've gravitated to p basses, both cause I like the sound, but also the simplicity. Those active eq basses with 6+ knobs stress me out! But I do wonder if an upgrade in craftsmanship would make me a better player. Maybe, but probably not. I think it's just my ego. I'm in a paying band, my squier makes me money already. I'm no pro, cant ever see applying for a gig that required me to have a fender. The amp, OTOH, probably needs an upgrade. I could play bigger rooms, with better sound, and be set if I ever want to join a bigger band.

16. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Not for me.

17. Several years back, I inherited a sum of money. Not as much as you. clearly. But enough to live without working for a couple of years. Which is exactly what I did. I regret that decision, but some useful stuff did come out of it. I worked on a book that got published. I visited my long-distance girlfriend for months at a time.

I still should have invested that money though.

That was before I had G.A.S. I had actually set music aside in favor of writing. I can only imagine how quickly I would have blown through that money if I had been as obsessed with new gear as I am now.

18. clayworx

clayworx Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2012
    Virginia
    NoSlapForYou likes this.
  19. xnewyorka

Jun 26, 2006
    NYC Area
    The MM Caprice and Cutlass are passive basses that are simple yet highly playable and great sounding:

This guy (named Guy) comes from a "third world" country, and has a bass that many people would consider to be a "piece of junk" by looking at it. There was probably a time he was wishing for an upgrade in craftsmanship. However, I'd say he managed to do pretty well with what he had on hand. What do you think of his playing?

alanloomis1980 and NoSlapForYou like this.
  20. I do think I wouldn't end up with 65 basses in similar circumstances. I'd probably have 10. And every combination of Ampeg tube amp and cabinet imaginable. And 2-3 guitars. And a couple of tube guitar amps. And some high end preamps. And a rack compressor. And a dozen pedals. And a bunch of good dynamic mics. And a condenser mic costing in the four digits.

You know, just those thirty items. Nothing too crazy.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019 at 12:22 PM
    alanloomis1980 and xnewyorka like this.