1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Browsing Craigslist, Reverb, etc. with no money

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by NoSlapForYou, Mar 13, 2019 at 5:12 PM.

1. Yeah, and even for an expensive item, the payments are very doable when you spread them out over 48 months. They amount to less than I spend on various subscription services.

Four years is a long time though. I'd probably try to make a few bigger payments along the way.

BEADG63 likes this.
  2. kmon

kmon Supporting Member

May 11, 2009
    Austin, TX
    If I can go all Dad on you for a second...credit cards, payment plans, etc are designed to f*** you over. A bass is not a house or a car. Save up the cash.

Even better, stop shopping. The internet is mostly advertising, designed to psychologically manipulate you into making bad decisions.

BTW if you're 38 and you've never had a credit card I applaud you...

NoSlapForYou likes this.
  3. I'm in no danger of having enough disposable income to run out of space.

OTOH, I do have a modestly sized three bedroom house at the moment. No kids and no plans to have any ever. So there are two whole extra rooms I could store stuff in if really needed. I'd like to save at least one for guests.

4. 3bc

3bc Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Chicago Burbs
    I think the gear searching issue could be generational, at least a little. I was born in 82 an have been glued to musician’s friend and then AMS, then Sweetwater catalogues since I was 13, and now it’s the internet. I used to pride myself on being able to go through one of those catalogues and know what everything was, what it’s purpose was, since starting at an early age i was playing bass, guitar, drums, recording music on an old foster 4 track, to adat, then logic and pro tools.

At the end of the day it’s all just a distraction for the mind away from the present moment, being capable of being present, having presence, and being comfortable with what is. At least that’s what it was for me. I’m still fighting my way back to being more present and mindful day to day, moment to moment.

As for the installments, credit cards, etc. Don’t do it. The day I turned 18 I got my first credit card with $1,000 limit, and bought my first copy of logic platinum 4.7, the ESX24 software sampler, a little keyboard and midi interface, and a little 2 channel soundcard. I have so many fond memories of making music over the last 20 years, starting with that big investment, but it started a spiral that took me 15 years to recover from. It wasn’t really until my income crested six figures that I was able to put that to rest. It can realign your mindset that it’s ok to just charge something and pay it off over time, but then that starts to build and you find yourself with $1,000 on monthly minimum payments plus your mortgage, utilities, childcare, etc.

It’s hard to dig yourself out of.

NoSlapForYou likes this.
  5. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    los angeles
    i've seen quite a few $850 stingrays in recent months. i had one for sale at $850 for a couple months before it sold.

NoSlapForYou likes this.
  6. Personally for me it's 2 things:
    1) I enjoy looking at basses/guitars. Even if I'm not in the market at the moment.
    2) The better I know the market, the better off I am when I'm in the market. I've been thinking about baritone guitars for a year but was not ready to purchase. Now I am, so I know what I want(and don't), and will know a good deal when I see it due to the time I've spent.

hypercarrots and NoSlapForYou like this.
  7. I do it too; I was born in the 70s. Its just a thing we do when we really love something. Speaking of stuff we love, Fugazi is rad! end hits is an odd choice but the album cover is cool.

8. Haha...you said it. As long as it is easy enough to carry and loud enough, I'm good on the amp.

alanloomis1980 likes this.
  9. trueno87

trueno87 Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2010
    Brooklyn,NY
    try zzsounds.com or americanmusical

10. sludgetail

sludgetail Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2018
    Orange, CA
    it's a disease, but it's *OUR* disease :bassist:

11. Not an odd choice if you think it's their best album, like I do.

12. Oh yeah, plenty of options, including but not limited to g&l, lakland and mm. I think about fenders just because I like a j neck on my p bass, so they're easy to swap. And theyre cheap, and readily available.

That guys got mad chops! And looks like he's having fun too. There's plenty of videos out there of people killing it on squiers. Since I've learned how to do fret work and electronics, I'm more able to make the very best out of a cheap bass.

13. TinIndian

TinIndian

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    Meh. I do it all the time too and I'm a bit older than you guys! But sometimes the stars line up and you can make your deal. Last Thursday I found a rare Oliver amplifier on my local CL. I flipped a cheap bass I wasn't playing on Friday. A couple hours later my band picked up a fill in gig for that night for 200.00 more than usual (extra 50.00 a piece), I already had a Saturday night gig with my other band and at the end of the night we got a raise. Went Sunday morning and bought for exactly what I had from the two gigs and the cheap flip. Free Amplifier the way I see it!

NoSlapForYou likes this.
  14. Corevalay

Corevalay Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    New Jersey
    Doing exactly what you described cost me $1600 last week.... that I didn't have to be spending!!

NoSlapForYou likes this.
  15. I guess that's what I meant; it's not commonly considered to be among their best efforts, but there are no wrong choices when it comes to your favorite Fugazi album. Thanks to this post I didn't have to give much thought to my playlist for the rest of the day; I'm about half way through "In on the kill taker" and have "red medicine" cued up.

NoSlapForYou likes this.
  16. HardNHeavy

HardNHeavy

Apr 17, 2014
    PA
    guilty of this as well....bought a jazz bass at 4am off ebay without the real money to afford it. I was tired, high/drunk and my wife ragged me out about it the next several days........but damn that bass plays good!

17. Siggy

Siggy Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    If you want to make it even worse, have a few drinks first :rollno:

NoSlapForYou likes this.
  18. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    schenectady, ny
    No, keep looking and aspiring. This will cause you to make the money.
    Don't overspend or be stupid, but "keep looking up".