Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Brubaker Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jja412, Jul 6, 2005.

1. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    I saw my first Brubaker years ago on ebay, when they were selling new ones over the net. Never heard of them, but they sure looked great. Decided I wanted one about a year later, when I saw some of the outrageous finishes they had (blue dye w/ matching fingerboard) stands out in my mind.)

I finally took the plunge about 2 weeks ago. I spotted two on the bay, and decided to get em both, then decide which one I liked best. I'd never seen one in person, much less got my hands on one... So I was VERY nervous. The first one arrived, and I was stoked to find that it was better than I expected it to be.

The fit/finish are perfect, no flaws or issues there. The playability?? LOW, LOW action. Very comfortable neck profile. Comfy scale. Balances well standing and sitting. Sweet.

The sound was also beautiful. Very responsive to changes in technique. Flexible EQ setup. Quite a sonic chameleon.

The second bass was the same: great sound, feel, and design.

Some special touches that I love:
    1. The neck bolts: The neck is set deep into the body, and is bolted, not screwed in place. The bolts are easily removed/tightened with an allen wrench. This deep inset seems to really allow the whole instrument to resonate.

2. The control cavity. Matching wooden cover with a central large bolt to hold it in place. Easy in and out.

3. The carved headstock/body. Utterly cool look. Original and stunning.

The whole bass just screams "craftmanship." I'll post some pics when I get em....

Got a Brubaker??? Post a Pic!

2. jja412

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    [​IMG]
    And the back:
    [​IMG]

3. jja412

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    [​IMG]
    The back:
    [​IMG]

4. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Nice. I'd really like to try one. How did you decide which one to keep?

5. jja412

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    I played them every free moment I had. That didn't help. They are both great playing and sounding instruments. Then, I went over them with a fine toothed comb, looking for dings, dents, anything to sway my opinion. Found nothing...

So I decided to get rid of the one with J pickups. I have 2 wonderful Jazz basses. Only one bass with a soapbar. So, that's the story...

Plus I'm a sucker for cherry or honey burst over tobacco burst.

6. jja412

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    Apparently, Im the only one who is a fan of Brubakers....

OK, Brad Johnson, too....

(If this thread had the word SADOWSKY in the title, there would be 500 responses by now) ;)
    [​IMG]
    Bump.

7. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    I love em! (but never played em) Their designs are wild though and that pre-amp thing is pretty nifty. I'd love to try one. Way Gas inducing.

8. Brubaker's look great, and from all accounts are great basses. I've had no opportunity to try one though. Too bad really.

9. i love the basses, but i have never had a chanse to play one though i have seen some beautiful ones in Metro Sound in Richmond. Hopefully the next time i buy a bass ill be able to make a trip to his shop, along with a few others.

10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I've tried a few. Aside from a well-used one in not-great condition (that probably just needed a proper setup), every one had excellent fit and finish and playability. I can't comment that much on their tone but they seemed wonderfully resonant.

If I were a boutique kind of guy I'm sure I'd own one by now. I prefer basses that have a "blue collar" look... Brubakers are too pretty (and I mean that in the best way).

11. Brubakers are freakin' sweet!

12. jja412

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    [​IMG]
    ***DROOL***

13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Sorry, not even the slightest chance of me turning my six loose. I've had it almost a year now and it's still way too much fun to play.

14. tribal3140

tribal3140 Banned

Nov 9, 2004
    near detroit...uh
    I had this bass for 6 months and it was undoubetly the nicest playing fretless I have ever played. too bad I sold it :bawl: :meh: :crying:

15. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    sweet Bruby's!

I need to find a pic of Jonesy4Funk's 6'er... or wait till he sees this thread.

16. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Here's one:

Attached Files:

17. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    [​IMG]

18. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    one of the coolest things about that bass is that the whole back of it is purpleburst.