Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Brubaker Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Curtis M. Wise, Jun 24, 2002.

1. Anyone using or have used Ken Brubaker basses?
    Any opinions on service, workmanship, playability, sound, etc.?

2. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Kevin Brubaker is a talented luthier with a sincere vision for the concept of a great instrument,and a very nice guy.check out his site at brubakerguitars.com

3. Yeah, I've been in touch with him via e-mail. Seems like a very nice person and he is very a talented craftsman! I just wanted to find out about Brubaker sounds etc. if Anyone has had any experience with these guitars or with Ken himself. Just checking around before I buy.

4. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    All the Brubaker's that I've played were very nice in feel and most importantly versatility.they seem to cut thru and I was able to dial up a wide range of colors,from the clearest lows to the funkiest highs not to brittle just right.I am most fond of his fretless basses as well not to many luthiers can make a killer fretless thats just as versatile as their fretted models.Kevin is very attentive to detail,I having played 98% of the basses on the market can say that I dont think you can go wrong in your purchase of a Brubaker Bass.
    JAUQO III-X
    jauqoiii-xreality.com

5. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Brad Johnson has one. If you pm or e-mail him I'm sure he'll help you out.

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Kevin's a great guy to deal with. Just imagine all of the standard warm and fuzzy accolades and they apply (well, maybe he's not "precious";)). This is a guy who seriously believes in what he's doing and stands by his work. A friend of mine picked up an older but very cool Brubaker 5 (Lane Poors and a 2Tek bridge) and he's doing some mods for a very reasonable price.

I'm looking at having him build a fretless 5 as soon as I'm able. The more I play my fretted the more amazed I am, especially in light of the fact that I thought about selling it shortly after I got it. Helpful hint: judge a bass on a gig or in the studio, not at home or in the store.

I've truly never played a more versatile bass. I can pull up on the Mids control and dial up a killer Rocco-style pump, kick in the coil tap and solo the bridge pickup for a Stanley Clarke cut, kick out the taps and it's Jaco time. Pan pot in the middle = serious slap with tight bottom. I can also go passive with a pull of the Volume control.

The playability is as good as anything I've touched. What I didn't realized was how great this cut through in the mix til I took it on a gig. Glad I did... I initially bought it because it was a steal, now I'm hooked

Construction? Flawless. I told Kevin that the Maple neck is so perfect it didn't look "made", it just looks like it just appeared:). Bart quad coil pickups and preamp, Hipshot hardware, top-notch finish... I still smile when I plug this bass in.

7. Argh argh argh! That one used to be mine. I've owned four so far and I still have one that was custom made for me. Good basses--they are probably one of the biggest bargains going in a hand built, made to order instruments.

8. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    The bass I have might be considered on the heavy side... that's as close to a possible negative I can think of. Probably 10 lb. If that's the price of these tones, I can live with it:D

He also makes basses with a wood called pawlonia (sp?) that's light as a feather. That's what I planned on getting before Funky's popped up.

9. Yeah, my black one is made of paulownia (I dunno how to spell it either). The grain pattern is similar to ash, but it is way lightweight! Good stuff.

10. PBFACTOR

PBFACTOR Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2001
    Boise, ID
    when i lived in MD last year, i visited kevin and his shop. wonderfull basses and guitars, and a great guy. i like neck through or i would def. own one.

11. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    With the way Kevin builds his necks, that's an interesting reason not to get one. Just curious (I own neck-throughs and bolt-ons), what did you feel his "Bolt-on neck through" setup was lacking vs. a neck through. The upper fret access is unimpeded all the way up to the 24th fret.

12. PBFACTOR

PBFACTOR Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2001
    Boise, ID
    his basses just didn't have the warmth and feel i was looking for. i usually find it with neck through, usually, not always.

13. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Thanks, PBF. I've never associated an edge in warmth to any particular neck style.

14. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Damn you Brad! Now All I can think about is Brubaker 5...actually, YOUR bass. I really love the finish, and if/when I get a Brubaker, I'd probably get the same color! :eek:

All your Brubaker are belong to ME

15. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    haha... yeah, don't worry, we all want one. You can't even list them as gas for yourself, because everyone would. Even if you own one, you'd want another :D

16. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Isn't there a "Lexa" model that is not shown on the site? And an "NBS-5"?
    How much do these things run? What is the scale length? (No info on site.)
    The site says the NBS-2 has a cocobolo neck. I've never heard of this. Sounds heavy, expensive, and beautiful.
    The way I was first made aware of Brubaker was one on ebay a few years ago. It was light blue or teal, all quilt, including the fretboard. I had never seen anything like it. Beautiful!

17. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Email Kevin or give him a call. He's very approachable.

18. PJR

PJR

Jun 20, 2001
    N.E. PA
    ...another Brubaker fan here.....

Here's my NBS1-custom :
    [​IMG]
    35 & 7/8th scale......cocabola fretboard....very deep, punchy tone.....sustains 4 ever.

Here's the NBS1 5'er I had (also from Funky)
    [​IMG]

...regret selling this....even if to get my Lakland :(

Great Basses...great cust. service...still a decent price !!

PJR

19. If Brad's Brubaker is Funky's old blue one, I'm the original owner. I loved dealing with Kevin Brubaker, and the bridge pickup tone of that bass was THE best sound I've ever heard from a bass. I was less thrilled with the neck pu sound -- generally I find that if I love the bridge pu tone of a bass, I find the neck pu tone a bit muddy.

Still, that was one KILLING bass; I only traded it away because I needed cash at the time.

20. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Sorry to hear that, Jordan... cash crunches can be a bear.

I agree completely with your comments, the bridge pickup kills and you can really vary it with the switchable mids. I've tried the neck pickup alone... and won't do that again;). Both pickups on is also very sweet.

Sounds like I'm at least the fourth owner. The Brubaker stops here:D[​IMG]