Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Brubaker Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JRBrown, Aug 14, 2003.

1. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Questions concerning Brubaker basses:

- What is the neck profile like of the 4's and 5's?
    - Are they considered heavy? How heavy?

- How about the balance? Seated and standing?

- Are they 34" or 35" scale?

- What is the string spacing like on the 5's?

- What does the neck feel like?

Thanks

JB

2. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    IIRC, Brad Johnson has a couple of those. maybe he'll stop by, or you can look him up and give him a shout.

3. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Calling Brad Johnson !!!!!!!! :D

Peace, JP

4. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
  5. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i have a Brubaker fretless Lightwave 5 string. only one in existence me thinks.

i like the neck profile, its a bit beefier than my zons.

i'll check tonight when i get home from work.

f

6. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    ...what, Brad hasn't posted yet????

;)

:D

7. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    you could always call Kevin B. and speak with him about these items.

very nice guy.

f

8. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    I had one for about a month. The 5 I owned had a C shaped neck. I hate that. Mine was probably of average weight with an ash back, quilted maple top and maple neck and board. The balance was good overall with a bit of neck diving while seated but perfect while standing. It was a 35" scale without unbearable tension. I hate that ultra tight feel. The string spacing was on the narrow side, most likely 17 mm, much like a Peavey Cirrus I once owned. The fretboard was of a flat radius, maybe a 16 or so, but the neck profile on the back just wasn't my thing. I prefer D shaped necks. The C shape, as mentioned, isn't my thing. The finish was satin. Not my fave either, however, I think you can order them with just about any option you want.

Here's a pic of it.[​IMG]

9. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    That looks just like the Brubaker I almost bought last year from a guy in Texas. I'm almost certain it's the same one. I also don't care for the "C" shaped neck; I too favor the "D" shape. I also don't care for a string spacing less than 18mm. I talked to Kevin "B" this morning before posting this thread. I asked him the same questions but as it should be, his answers were biased. The only objective answer he gave me was that all of his basses are 34 5/8" scale and that he could build anything I want.

10. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    if you spec' it out, you wouldn't be disappointed with KB's build quality.

GREAT SH*T!

f

11. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali

Probably is the same dude if he was in Texas. It would have been "pathdoc" on the Pit. He had it, traded it with another pitter and then I traded a Status for it. I then sold it on eBAy to a guy in the Albany, NY area if IIRC. It was a sweet bass, just not my thing.

12. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    This is the one I almost bought:

[​IMG]

13. lowmid1

lowmid1

Aug 16, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    That bass was built for me in 99. I specified the body wood (ash) and the color and also the neck shape and string spacing. It was about the same weight as a MMSR5 due to the body being ash. However, Kevin uses a variety of woods and techniques and at his shop I have played 5 strings that were lighter than anything I have played. I also played several different neck shapes as well. For example, he made me a 4 string and got the neck dimensions from my favorite Stingray. He will do "custom" work to the point that if you know exactly what you want and can explain it.....you will get exactly what you want. I haven't talked to him in a while but I don't think you will find a nicer or more accommodating luthier.

14. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Thanks,

When you specified that neck shape, what did you ask for? What is his "normal" neck shape? "C"? "D"?

15. lowmid1

lowmid1

Aug 16, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    I'm not sure what the "normal" neck shape would have been at the time. He was trying different shapes, spacing, pickups etc. and there were some different basses in the shop at the time that were all different. I found the one that felt the most comfortable to me, asked him for the narrow string spacing and also asked him to roll the fingerboard edges a little bit. I guess the point is, if you know what you like and can explain it to him than he will make what you like. BTW, that was my first 5 so I really wasn't sure exactly what I wanted or I would still be playing it.:bassist:

16. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    That red bass is one of the earlier models. The current models are the NBS and K series. I have an NBS-Custom that I got from funkycarnivore and bought two new K5B's, an Xtreme fretted 5 and a K5B Custom fretless.

- What is the neck profile like of the 4's and 5's?

The neck profiles on mine are similar to my Zon Legacy Standard 5, a sleek flat neck that's very easy to get around on. I'd guess it's a flat D profile, certainly not a C. He doesn't limit you to one profile and I believe mine is the standard.

- Are they considered heavy? How heavy?

As heavy or as light as you want it. They're made of wood and since he uses a variety of body and top woods, what you want is what you'll get. The three I have are Maple, Swamp Ash and Catalpa bodies. They're three different weights, Catalpa being the lighter of the three (my fretless). The heaviest is my Swamp Ash Spalted Maple Xtreme... because I told Kevin what I wanted and he exceeded that, big time. Huge sound, it demands space in the mix. I've played some of his Mahogany basses and they kill. Pawlonia is a very light wood, a bass might come in at or under 7 lbs. with that. Again, it's up to you.

What they do have in common is killer build quality, excellent string to string balance, great playability.

- How about the balance? Seated and standing?

I haven't noticed any neck dive in the NBS or K series basses. The Protege', which is based on the Lexa body might've done that, the ones I played didn't. I use a 3" Levy strap seated or standing and they hang perfectly for me.

- Are they 34" or 35" scale?

34 5/8" AFAIK. Want something different? Just ask. I played a sweet 30" fretless six he made a couple of months ago.

- What is the string spacing like on the 5's?

Mine are 19 and 18mm, I've also played 17mm. I like wide spacing. What you get is up to you. Kevin is a four string player and his are 19mm. I'm planning a six, it'll probably be 19mm and 34 5/8" scale. The low B sounds great IMO.

- What does the neck feel like?

Butter. My K5B's have the black satin finish and I've actually had people tell me the neck was too fast:D. My NBS has a clear satin finish on the one piece Maple neck. Also very fast. If you want a non-standard profile, just ask.

If you like low action like I do, they're great. Excellent fretwork, very stable necks. If you like high action... raise the saddles;)

They're custom instruments. My K5B Xtreme has the removable preamp setup so I can swap preamps in a matter of seconds. I currently have an Aggie OBP-3, Bassline 3 band and my favorite, the Bart NTMB. Price range varies, you can go fairly basic and still get the sound, build and playability or you can go crazier than I did with this:

[​IMG]

This started out as a Spalted Maple topped 5, Kevin suggested the fingerboard, the rest is history. He has a hell of an imagination and he's a perfectionist when it comes to building, design and finish work. Check out the White Spalts:eek:

BTW wait until you see Jonesy's six.

:D
    Brad

17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Here's the NBS body style

[​IMG]

18. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i spent quite some time at the Bru-Booth at 2003 NAMM Anaheim.

his fretless was to DIE FOR!~ #%!$%U NYUKTYMTFV BXFCHJTJE&TRHKB&*%U A

mmm mmm M!

f

19. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    My main axe is currently a Brubaker NBS custom. It has a 2 piece Ash back, and a 5A quilted maple top finished tobaco sunburst. Absolutely killer bass! I would say that the neck profile is more of a D shape. Very comfortable. The Brubaker necks are some of the nicest I have ever played.