1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Brubaker Brute Pickup upgrade - which pots?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by gidbass, Sep 10, 2017.

1. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Well, I really like the aesthetics and comfort of my brute, but the sound...not so much.

So, after saving a bit if gig money, time for a pickup upgrade! I bought this bass to play around with different pickups as I am happy with my other basses.

I am planning a Lawing JC64 (Convertible™ for J Bass® Neck (JC64)) for the neck, and a nordstrand big man for the bridge.

I will be removing the active preamp (don't like them) and will be going with a V-V-V-T passive setup. Each coil of the big man will have it's own volume and I'll be using the switch to split the JC64.

I am thinking a 500K pot for the neck, with each coil of the big man having a 250K pot, but what should I use for the tone pot (thinking 500K)?

Or is my thinking incorrect on all the pots?

EDIT: There is a very distinct possibility that I am overthinking this as that is what I normally do...;)

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  2. If you choose one 250k pot and two 500k pots for the volume, then the result will be the same as a standard Jazz bass with two 250k volumes. Changing one of the pots from 500k to 250k, as you have proposed to do, will make things just a hair warmer. Personally, I would rather go for all 500k pots to preserve the high end, but it depends on your preferences.

3. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009