1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Brubaker Brute

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Paulabass, Dec 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    I just ordered a new clearance Brubaker Brute 4 string. They are being sold out of Montreal, for $270 usd. They seem to have ok reviews, and for the price I thought I couldn't go wrong.
    I haven't owned a Chinese bass before, so, fingers crossed. This is the cheapest new bass I've ever had.
    Looks funky, in a Burns of London kinda way. Got express delivery for $10 more, so I'll give it a review shortly.
    This is also, other than a pickguard, the first thing I've ever bought mail order. I'm a vocal advocate against mail order, but I figure- I can't beat em, so join 'em, and it's cheap enough that if I learn a bad lesson, I'm not out a fortune. Lots of new experiences to be had here.
    Brubaker 4-string MJX Bass, White | eBay

GlassToMouth likes this.
  2. I had a white one just like that one when they first came out. Quickly fell in love with it - and then one day just as quickly fell out of love. It played fantastic and sounded great - then one day I A/B it against my #1, and noticed some gnarley tones from the Brute that weren’t obvious to me before. But after A/B test, I couldn’t stop noticing them.

Can’t much describe it any better - I really liked the bass, and then one day it irked me and I traded it away.

Great price though! I think I paid about double that!

3. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    ^ Thanks. I'm not expecting miracles, I already have a Modulus, Ric, Spector....
    I have a spare Sandberg bridge, a MM pickup, and some pre's and parts, so I may have some fun with this one.

4. Great score! My JJX-4 is a great bass for the money. No longer my main player, but comfortable, light weight and does the modern jazz scooped slapper sound quite well. It records pretty well too. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. I did replace everything with EMG components, but didn't need to. It was serviceable with the stock Chinese parts for sure.

5. Curious how this worked out for you.

I got an MJX-5 from (probably) the same place recently. It seems to have no finish at all on the neck and the action varies noticeably from day to day as the humidity changes. Debating whether to finish the neck in an attempt to stabilize it or get rid of it.

6. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    Mail order lol. That expression is left over from when you actually mailed in your order from say the Timothy Eaton catalog and get your Toronto Maple Leaf Hockey sweater.
    I hope you don’t pray for moths to come eat your bass

Good thing you got express delivery because the borders may be closed soon