1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Brubaker content

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pedulla-2007, Mar 31, 2013.

1. pedulla-2007

pedulla-2007

Sep 2, 2008
    texas
  2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Wrong forum. Moved to Basses. (Sorry Basses mods!)

3. They're individually hand-made. Beyond that Brubaker's are known for stunning finishes and fretboard wood selection/finishes. The prices aren't out of line for that kind of thing.

Edit - I said that without regard to that specific price, but about the prices of Brubakers generally. As is pointed out below, this is someone trying to get what they think they can for that particular bass. They may be well off the mark.

4. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    It's also a Buy-it-Now or Make Offer...that, plus the fact that it's up for a month, suggests to me the the top price is an optimistic one. Looking at the seller's other items supports that as well. I'd be surprised if the seller got half the asking price, frankly.

There has been some discussion about pre-fire versus post-fire Brubakers (don't remember the date), but I think they're all well-made.

5. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    That guy is a collector. He's in the business of buying and selling for a profit.

6. TRichardsbass

TRichardsbass Banned Commercial User

Jun 3, 2009
    Between Muscle Shoals and Nashville
    Bassgearu, Music Industry Consulting and Sales. Tech 21, NBE Corp, Sonosphere.
    In general most boutique basses, whether Brubaker, Alembic, Elrick, Dingwall, Lull, Spector Et cetera, a general rule of thumb is that retail new is about $1000 a string. So a sixer Bru asking $6500 is not out of the question.

This bass has a "flip-flop" finish, which is rare, and I believe it was purchased new and immediately put in storage. It is Pre- fire and one I know Kevin spent a lot of time on.

As others said, it is his asking. I have no clue what he would take for it, as I don't know much about him. He also has a Mosrite for $50,000. Will he get that? Probably not.

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson SUSPENDED Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    What makes this bass so expensive is the seller.
    :)

Here's a riddle/joke I've told a few times:

Know how you get $5000 for a bass?

You start by asking.

While I know it seems obvious, for many it isn't. Fodera wouldn't get $8k for a Matt Garrision Standard if they asked for $4k. Pretty sure of that.

This bass is an older Lexa with tricked out prismatic finish. All the templates used to build it burned up in the fire. Does that mean anything? Maybe... to the right person. If someone comes along who's into that, it pushes their buttons AND they have the means, it's possible they might jump. The fact that the price has remained the same for a long time tells me the seller is likely not under duress. That's my preferred mode for selling too. He's also open to offers so who knows what he'll take.

Do I think it's worth it? Not to me personally, to someone else, sure. That's the frustrating thing about "value".

There's also a newer used Brubaker six on ebay, inspired by the model that came after the Lexa, the NBS. I've played that bass and it's excellent. If I didn't have mine I'd be working on moving some things around. Looks great IMO, plays great and sounds great.

Anyone who's interested could make an offer on the Lexa... the worst that could happen is they call you a mean name while saying no. Usually doesn't draw blood so no harm, no foul.
    :cool:

8. pedulla-2007

pedulla-2007

Sep 2, 2008
    texas
    Wow, thanks for taking time to shed some light on this boutique bass, I knew Brad could shed some light on it's history. I knew nothing of the fire, which would indeed make it a one-off. Thanks again gentlemen for time and information.

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson SUSPENDED Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    No problem.