Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Brubaker fire

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brad Johnson, Aug 29, 2003.

1. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I got a call from Kevin B. this morning... his shop burned down around 2am or so. I stopped by and it looks like pretty much a total loss. I'll update as I get further info.

2. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    :eek: :( :bawl:

That is horrible. I hope he had good insurance at least, however much comfort that could bring.

3. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    He's insured, not sure how that'll cover the custom tools, templates, etc. he's developed over the years.

4. wow that terrible.
    Hopefully he had stored extra templates and CAD drawings off site (and was well insured).
    Sheldon Dingwall's shop burned down about 2yrs ago, i know it took him a while to get up and running again.
    I wish mr Brubaker the best in getting back on his feet
    frank

5. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    Wow, what a shame. Kevin is a great guy and I hope he's able to get back on his feet quickly.

6. Actually, the fire was in 1996 and it apparently took 16 months to get the shop up and running again.

It is terrible to hear about Brubaker. I hope everything works out for the best for him.

Geoff

7. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Brad, please pass along the thoughts of the Bass Central contingent, we hope he gets back up to speed quickly, and that no one was hurt. I hope it doesn't put him out of business, he makes incredible instruments, and the bass world would be a smaller place without his work in it.

8. wow, very sorry to hear, pass along words from the whole TB community!

best of luck:meh: :)

9. brake

brake

Jun 23, 2003
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    I dont know who it is nor am I familiar with his basses but from the sounds of things he really knows what he's doing, and people really like his stuff. I'd be heartbroken if it were me, so send my sympathies if possisble

10. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    That's a terrible shame. I hope that he can get back on his feet with the help of his customers.

11. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    my heart sank when i heard this.

thoughts goin' back east for Kevin, family and crew!

fred

12. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    even if i have never played a Brubaker (but i have admired many pics of great looking Brubaker basses) I am very sad by this bad news.

if possible pass my thoughts to the staff. hope to see them running again ASAP.

13. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    oh, man!! i read the title of the thread and though to myself.. "NO!!"-
    that is just horrible!! i cant imagine how he must feel right now- please send him my best wishes -- hope everyone was safe and im so sorry to her about this....:(

14. dhuffguitars

dhuffguitars Luthier/Bass Wanker depending on your opinion

Sep 18, 2001
    SPOKANE WA
    If there is anything I can do to help let me know.

ALSO, if anybody was considering ordering a bass from him, contact him about giving him a deposit now, but don't ask for a deadline. That extra cash boom would really help him cover any out of pocket cost that his insurance he has doesn't cover.

Darrin

15. that is really aweful :( I hope no one was hurt and that he is able to recover from this. Brubaker makes awesome stuff and it would be a huge loss if he had to stop making his instruments. my condolences and best wishes.

16. basses55

basses55 Gold Supporting Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Toronto
    Endorsing Artist: Alleva Coppolo
    So sorry to hear this....he's a super nice guy and makes some really nice stuff. I hope he can get back as soon a possible and people continue to support him and his work even through this tough time!

17. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Brad

Talked to Chris Benavente earlier and told him about the Thread. He said to make sure to have you pass on the Kevin that if there is anything we could do to help to just let us know!

18. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    well, i dont know in what capacity i might be able to help- but i am definitely offering, if there's ANYTHING i can do-

19. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Truly a sad turn of events.
    Please pass along my hopes for a quick and full recovery of the Brubaker line.

Also, if I can help out, please let me know.
    Laurence

20. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Thanks, I'll point Kevin in this thread's direction, he recently joined TB. I talked to him at length today and he's looking at "how" to get restarted, definitely no intention of not continuing. I'm sure he'll appreciate everything about this thread. He has a lot of people pulling for him and that always helps.

It happened in the middle of the night so no one was hurt, it basically amounts to property damage but for those of you who build I think you can almost imagine what it's like to lose not only current work but the years put into developing and refining system. Just about everything. Of course the important stuff, like experience, isn't lost.

Might actually be a good wake-up call to others to protect themselves, keep duplicates offsite and just generally be prepared for whatever life throws in front of you.

I think he'll be fine. Thanks.