Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Brubaker Lexa 5 $1500

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by Brad Johnson, Aug 22, 2002.

1. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Green flamed Maple top and headstock, Ash body, Maple neck with Black finish (looks like graphite), Wenge fingerboard. Medium weight (9.6 lb.) rare 2Tek bridge, Lane Poor soapbars, Duncan 3 band preamp/EQ. Very good condition, recently gone over by Kevin Brubaker. Featured in Bassplayer Feb. 2000.

This bass belongs to a friend who is selling to buy another Brubaker. Excellent playability, very versatile sound. Email for more pics. No trades.
    [​IMG]

2. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    [​IMG]

3. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    [​IMG]

4. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md

5. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    bump

6. odie

odie Supporting Member

Is the body on that Brubaker really small?? How the size compare to a Jazz or MTD Kingston?

7. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Probably slightly smaller than a Jazz (just guessing from memory) if it's any smaller at all. It's definitely not a big body but it's not tiny either.

8. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    What is the string spacing like? It looks kind of tight. The sound?

9. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    This bass does not have his standard spacing. It is on the narrow side, maybe 17mm. I prefer wide spacing but surprisingly had no difficulty playing this bass. The neck was narrowed slightly and completely refinished by Kevin. It's a very quick bass.

10. pathdoc2

pathdoc2

Oct 16, 2002
    Allen, TX
    This bass looks nearly identical to my Brubaker Protege'. The Protege' doesn't have the matching headstock or the 2TEK bridge. The quality of these basses is incredible.

11. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Sweet lookin Brubaker, Brad.

BTW:
    I just came across an AMP 420 BH (I think I got that right) here in town for $250 Canadian. That's like $50 US ,eh? Let me know if you want another one and I'll hook you up.:)

12. pathdoc2

pathdoc2

Oct 16, 2002
    Allen, TX
  13. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Nice bass, Pathdoc. Should have my next one in about a month;)

14. odie

odie Supporting Member

I dig the looks of the bass, but the location of the p-ups kinda weird me out. They seem to be so far away from the bridge. Almost like they are going for a crazy p sound.

What does it sound like Brad?

15. pathdoc2

pathdoc2

Oct 16, 2002
    Allen, TX
    I find my bass is extremely versatile. You can pretty much dial in whatever tone you want.

16. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    What Pathdoc said;)

Odie, the bass works well and is by no means limited to sounding like a P. It's hard to describe the sound of a bass. So far I've heard nothing I don't like coming out of this bass... but that's me. I lean more towards J bass sounds or hi fi with guts, for lack of a better term. Nothing light and frilly about this one:D

17. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Thanks!