Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Brubaker Protege 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mike, Jan 19, 2003.

1. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    Anyone ever or currently own one of these? I'm not sure how they fit into the Brubaker line (high end model, mid model). How do they play and sound? What is their price range. The web site wasn't very helpful. I'm considering a trade and would like to find out some info.

Thx.

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I think I've played a couple with single Musicman Bart pickups. Like all of the more recent (since 1999 or so) Brubakers, they were excellent. They have the same great build quality and exhibit the same playability. I'd buy one if I didn't have a third one on the works;)

3. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    Something wrong with those produced before 1999? Thx.

4. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    No. It's just that I think around that time he came up with the NBS bodystyle which I like more. His earlier Lexa basses were highly regarded.

5. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    C'mon Brad, tell us more :D
    What will your next brubaker look like? Specs....?

Peace, JP

6. Hman

Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Fretless???? Love that black one with purple heart neck.

[​IMG]

7. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    It will probably either be this one or one like it:

Fretless 5 string Xtreme... Catalpa body (lightweight and very resonant) lightly figured top (this one is Spalted Maple), Maple neck w/satin black finish, Ebony board with gloss finish, Bart quad coils and three band preamp, black Hipshot hardware.

[​IMG]

8. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    I traded my Status Empathy 5 for the Brubaker Protege 5. I have pics but they're too large to post. It has a beautiful deep red quilted maple top with what looks like an ash back. 22 fret maple board. Bassline PU's and Bart preamp. Pretty cool. Should be here next week!

9. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    brad!!!

that"s the fretless bru i played at namm

wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

f

10. Hman

Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    I think pathdoc used to own that bass and traded to another pitter or talkbasser. Great looking bass!

11. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    How much do these weigh?

12. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I know

:D

13. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    The weight varies. You can go from light to heavy. I've played some that might've been 7 lbs. or less and my Xtreme 5 with Ash body may be 11 lbs. Lots of choices.

14. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    If it's a quilted red one I believe he did. I spoke with the current owner via telephone who, coincidentally, formerly owned my recently acquired Moon 5 after PathDoc but before FunkyCarnivore. I'll only identify him as JC, a pitter. He said he had traded something for the Brubaker with PathDoc who, coincidentally, I once sold an Eden 210T too. Welcome to the bass merry go round...

This is like that Kevin Bacon thing...