1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Brubaker....... Who?????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Big mark, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Big mark

Big mark

Jun 12, 2010
    On another thread I noticed a comment on Brubaker Brute bass's.
    I'm over in the UK and never heard of the brand, are they tonally versatile, well made etc???
    Had a look on the web but would love some first hand honest comments.
    Thanks
    M

2. Great basses. Of course, I own one so I'm more than a bit biased.

The Brutes are Brubaker's budget line. They sound good, feel good and match up well with most other basses in its price range and above. They're about as versatile as any other bass with a preamp and two pickups, which is to say, plenty. Not a fan of the look but if you are it's definitely worth a look.

I have a Standard which is basically a barebones custom. Love it to pieces.

3. Big mark

Big mark

Jun 12, 2010
    Cheers, I have email them to see if they are available or will ship to the UK

4. Big mark

Big mark

Jun 12, 2010
    The sustain on these things seem to be amazing, what are the B strings like on the 5's?

5. pointbass

pointbass Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    You might want to get in touch with Tom Richards (TBer name TRichardsbass) .... Tom is affiliated with Brubaker but he's a pretty straight-up guy and will give you all the detail you need without the fluff ... :cool:

6. Big mark

Big mark

Jun 12, 2010
    Pointbass, thanks for the tip off mate

7. Great, actually. Really clear and minimal flub. Of course, getting the right set of strings and making sure you wind the B string without twists is important too.

8. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Great basses. Really mod friendly, as mine has been through about 4303 changes :)

9. SwagAttack

SwagAttack

Sep 14, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    Sorry to derail the thread a little bit. But there are the 2 brute models, the jj and the jmm. I have heard of the coil splitting mod so you can get the single coil sound. Would the jmm have the same sound as the jj if you did that mod?

10. Not exactly because the MM pickup isn't two J pups stuck together. It would get you in the ballpark though.

11. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Sorry to derail even more, but I like every opportunity to call attention to the third Brute model, the lesser known, exclusive to me, MMX :)

Exclusive to me for now, anyway. Soon to be for sale :(

[​IMG]

12. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    According to Tom Richards, who has done this to his MJX-5 it comes close to nailing the JJX sound. He made a statement pertaining to this on part 1 of this forum. I too will attest that i am biased and I love my Brute and for the money, no one else in my area sounds like me...until Brutes catch on. I like my Brute so well that I have preordered one of the new single cuts. This will come from the dealer (Donovan at fretspot.com) pre-configured with a 3 way coil splitter. front coil/back coil/series for the MM pickup.