Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Brubaker with natural pickguard..a 1st?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JRBrown, Jun 12, 2005.

1. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Check out the new Brubaker--I like it. I prefer basses with a trans-white finish, but then the body grain could clash with the pickguard.

A very nice bass!

[​IMG]

2. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    cool, the recently fodera has been putting pickguards on and I think they looke killer, whole new vibe.

3. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Nice. I love basses with natural pickguards. I've seen a few Conklins that are absolutely gorgeous with natural pickguards.

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    That's the first of a new model, the NBP pickguard model basses. Very affordable. Bartolini J pickups with two band Bart preamp. Same Bolt-Thru neck joint as all Brubakers. These will eventually be built in the Virginia shop.

5. Tyler_W

Tyler_W

Jun 15, 2005
    Woodbridge, VA
    cool, basses rock with natural finishes and/or pickguards.

6. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Brad, can you say generally what the $$$ ballpark will be?

7. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    You have a PM

8. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Not the first, but definitely one of the best looking so far IMO. Great lookin' bass!

Brad, can you drop me a line on the price of those, too? Sheer curiosity though, I need a DB before I can consider another electric.

9. funkasaurus

funkasaurus

Apr 23, 2001
    Los Angeles
    +1

I'd love to read about any other specs you have on this model too. Looks fabulous.

And do you have an estimated time of availability?

Thanks.

10. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Thanks, we're looking for any feedback... of course we don't mind this kind;)

You have pm.

11. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    This particular bass has a Steamed Beech body (fairly lightweight and resonant), the Bart electronics package I mentioned, Hipshot hardware, 34 5/8 scale length and a flamed Maple pickguard. The top of the body and headstock are flat as opposed to carved on the NBS and KX series. The pickups were put in the same relative position as my 1978 Jazz, compensating for the increased scale length.

I used this bass on a couple of gigs and took it to the DC bass get together a couple of months back that featured David Dyson and Norm Stockton. It got a very nice reception. As far as availability we're ramping up for Summer NAMM so while some may be available soon more will be available afterwards.

Edit: Looks like we're going to skip Summer NAMM and concentrate on getting things up to speed. Probably a much better use of time right now.

The price range is much less than you think. Send me a PM for details.

12. brubakerguitars

brubakerguitars

Aug 18, 2003
    Glad you all like! I want one myself- saving my pennies... 5's are on the way.

Thanks!

KB

13. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Will there be a couple to demo at NAMM?

That Bolt-Thru neck joint is amazing!

14. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    +1 Pretty cool neck joint, I gotta admit. 34 5/8 scale length is a bit bizarre -- what prompted this?

15. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Not really. Kevin's been building with an "in-between (34" and 35")" scale length for years and other builders too, for example F Bass at 34 1/2". While experimenting with different lengths, Kevin found this particular one to work well as far as overall tone and feel so he stuck with it.

It wasn't necessary to go all the way to 35" to achieve the B string response he was looking for and the jump from 34" isn't as obvious. The feedback I've gotten on this bass is that it actually feels shorter than a Jazz bass... even with the longer scale, because of the overall ergonomics.

16. That is one very beautiful looking bass :cool:

17. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    Very nice!!

18. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    I have seen the pictured bass (or an identical model) for sale online somewhere recently. Possibly ebay. The price was closer to $1000 than $2000 IIRC.

19. brubakerguitars

brubakerguitars

Aug 18, 2003
    Here are a few other things we have been working on as well as the NBP models. Both of these basses have a more rounded edge than we normally do. Also, the finish on one is oil - very organic! The other is a low build lacquer finish all the way around - smooth! Let me know what you all think? As for the sound...take it away Brad.

Attached Files:

20. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I like that natural ash a lot.
    A lot more then the painted one.