Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Brubaker

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brad Johnson, Aug 28, 2002.

1. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    This market really sucks. Got this today.

[​IMG]

2. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    [​IMG]

3. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Definately the shweetest bru I've seen. Even better than the blue/green burst you have (had?) that used to be funky's.

WOW. I need one of those. Great finish and gold hardware to boot. Nice.

4. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Thanks, Monty... I still have the Bluegreen Custom. This was truly too nice to pass up.

5. nice score Brad! again! :)

If you got this one for the amount that you've mentioned at Atomics..... that is an insane deal!!

we should have a town meeting at Atomics soon!:D

6. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Sounds like a plan... when's the Sadowsky coming in?

Yeah, that was the price. I won't mention it here, no need pissing the web off in the event I might sell it later;)

7. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Brad the Bass is beautiful.

8. My Sad. should be here at the end of this week or early next week!

man that's a nice top! subtle yet nicely figured!!

if that thing sounds anything like your green burst, that's going to be a helluva BASS!

9. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Thanks, Jauqo. The plan was to have Kevin build me a bass, then this one pops up, the second one I've come across in the last week or so. Guess the new one will have to be a fretless by default;)

So many basses, so little time...

10. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    :D

11. odie

odie Supporting Member

Brad I dont like you anymore!! :)

12. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Beautiful bass. Brad, did you ever work in the stock market? I have a feeling you'd do well....

13. PJR

PJR

Jun 20, 2001
    N.E. PA
    lol...only if you're trying to sell !!! :)

Nice Bru, Brad !!

PJR

14. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    I got offered a Brubaker-4 for my Lakland-5. Please tell me more about the Brubaker. What do they cost?

15. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Brubakers run in the $2k+ range new.

I stopped by Kevin's shop on Friday. He has a crotch Pawlonia bass he's working on that looks great. Met a friend there who fell in love with a Mahogany with Purple heart laminates K4B... not for sale.

16. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    What does the Brubaker compare to?

17. Hi JR, I got your email but wasn't sure how to reply. Anyway, in terms of quality, execution of the design concept, and tone, the Brubaker basses easily match up to anything else out there that I've tried. Where they really seem to take a hit, at least for me (I've had four and still own one), is in resale value. I think the trade offer you've gotten is a good one if you plan on keeping the Bru, but not quite as good if you think you might sell it.

18. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Admittedly I'm biased but I think they compare to anything I've laid hands on for fit, finish, design and performance. Sonically, I'd say they combine the best aspects of neck throughs and bolt-ons... they have excellent sustain, are articulate as heck but also have the grunt of a bolt-on. They definitely don't sound thin and wispy. They can also be very versatile.

My first Brubaker 5 didn't truly blow me away until I took it on a gig. The combination of getting all of the sounds in my head out and the ease of playability made for a seriously fun gig experience.

The two I have both have Bartolini quad coil soapbars, a three band Bart preamp with two selectable mid center frequencies, passive/active operation and a coil tap toggle. Looks simple, very easy to use, a ton of sounds at your disposal. For example, everything flat, single coil mode sounds like a killer Jazz... excellent slap sound. Same setting except switched to humbucking mode, slight treble boost nails the Musicman sound. Lots of other sounds to play with and very easy to replicate consistently.

Kevin is a player too. It shows.

19. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Funky's right about current resale value. IMO that's a product of name recognition and the market. There are several fine basses out here that most people haven't heard of that sometimes take a hit... sometimes a big hit (just look at eBay, bassgear.com and TB classifieds).

IMO I think they're going to catch on. I feel the same is true of Benavente, as long as the prices stay sub-Fodera;).

I'm going to have one built. IMO they're that good. I bought a new 1978 Tobias in 1980 when resale value was nil... all things considered, it worked out pretty well:)

20. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Whoa. It's like a party on my computer moniter! :D

Nice bass. You get so many wonderfull toys...puts everyone but Funky and Adrian to shame...