1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Brubakers

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tonewave, Jul 13, 2014.

1. tonewave

tonewave

Jan 12, 2014
    I just purchase a used Brute MJX and I'm thinking of buying a new 5 String KXB Series. I have Proto J Smith Design and I had Kevin Brubaker's staff install Aguilar OBP3 Preamp and Bartolini 5-String Jazz pickup's which makes this inexpensive bass sound great. I ask this because the KXB Series price's not CHEAP and I'm wondering if it's worth it. Estimated cost $5410.00 whats the Buzz on Brubakers

2. Systolic

Systolic Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Madison,Wisconsin
    Brubakers are wonderful instruments....i'm not sure they're $5k good, but I have a hard time thinking any instrument is worth that.

3. That's a very subjective question, but I have basically almost never not been disappointed spending a lot of money on music gear. The brute is a lovely bass, and you've put some great bits into it; ask yourself what you're trying to get that you don't already have, and if that's worth $5000. Also, if you couldn't be happier putting that 5k somewhere else.

No, I don't think it (or anything else) is worth it

4. I wouldn't pay $5k for any instrument (unless I was wealthy and someone was selling a 50's or 60's Fender P bass signed by Leo Fender himself).

5. Apolicious

Apolicious

Jan 16, 2014
    Have you played the American model? I haven't played their import version so I can't compare, but I found it extremely uncomfortable. It also had a serious case of neck dive. It sounded quite good - very modern and aggressive, albeit not terribly versatile outside those two areas. And - this is just my personal taste - I thought their finishes were absolutely hideous up close. In the end, I just couldn't agree with the price point. It was a fine instrument, if not my thing, but considering what else you can get for that kind of change, I see no reason to get one.

Just a stab in the dark, but have you tried Zon basses? I know they seem very, very different, but I think they might get you what you want at a better price point. Hell, you may even get more.

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Apolicious, which US Brubaker did you play? And how many have you seen/played? And what about a Zon would get the OP where he's trying to go considering he made no mention of what he was looking for?

Honest critiques are cool and always appreciated. I'm not sure that's the case here. A neck diving, uncomfortable Brubaker, particularly the singlecut KXB with Brubaker's relatively small headstock, an absolutely hideous finish and no sonic versatility is not the norm. So what did you see and if you don't mind, where did you have this experience?

Thanks.

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    If you ask people who aren't inclined to spend in a certain price range, the answer on worth will typically be no. If their needs /wants match yours I guess that could be relevant. But what if you come across something that really floats your boat? Stay with the status quo or move up to something that inspires you more as a musician?

There's no right answer. There are people whose livelihood is based on performance, there are others who play for fun... and they both could end up loving the same bass, be it $250 or $5,000... which by the way is more than a base KXB 5 goes for.

Ultimately the only way to really know, with any brand, is to get your own hands on the brand your interested in. There is a difference, some see it, most don't. If you don't, count yourself as lucky.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014