Bruce Foxton.. a great player no one seems to know.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by JeremyBender, Oct 22, 2001.

1. JeremyBender

Oct 22, 2001
    Hey folks...

Being new to the whole "bass forum" thing, I was wondering why no one ever mentions Bruce Foxton who was The Jam's bass player.. this guy influenced me heavily but never gets any credit. I dunno if it's because no one knows who he is, or no one has even heard of The Jam... any opinions?
  2. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    Foxton's a good bass player - solid, and he suited the Jam's style very well. You're right, he is an underrated bassist. Still, the Jam never really took off in America, which may be a reason why not many people mention him.
  3. Winston TK

Winston TK Hairpiece Adventurer

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    Bruce Foxton was cool. So was the rest of the Jam, for that matter.

He had it all -- cool hair, skinny neckties, stovepipe pants, and a Rickenbacker bass! (Even that semi-acoustic bass he played from time to time was great.)

Yeah, how in the world could we forget him?
  4. JeremyBender

Oct 22, 2001
    I guess.. but it's never too late to check them out right? Without The Jam, I may have been lost. Listening to them led me to so many different styles of music. Between them and the Clash, when I was like 10, I was blown away by them. After hearing songs like Art School and Standards and In the City, I just always thought they were the greatest band no one ever heard of..
  5. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    I always liked The Jam - I played in a couple of punk-pop bands earlier, and was much inspired by his Rick-tone and playing style. Haven't heard all their albums, but "Setting Sons" is a good one.
  6. "Going underground"'s a fave (esp. that octave run up the neck towards the end):cool:

in an interview in Bassist he says he switched from Rickenbackers to Fender Precisions (a black maple neck) as he felt there was something missing in the sound....

I've got his solo album Touch sensitive. most of the songs are a bit weak, but there's some interesting bass playing- eg. "What I'd give"'s chordal line.
  7. The Jam has been and will always be one of the best bands to come out of England. Glad to see someone giving them some recognition.
  8. The Jam? Ugh, I feel so old. The only jam I know is the stuff I spread on my toast.
  9. Speaking of old, is Jeremy Bender your name or are we talking Tarkus.
  10. JeremyBender

Oct 22, 2001
    We are talking Tarkus.. I couldn't resist the urge to use it..

Some great Jam albums to buy:

In the City
    This is Modern World
    All Mod Cons

Buy the Snap! Compilation CD if you just want to check them out.. I am sure you can find it somewhere. I guarentee satisfaction!!
  11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I mentioned him only recently in a thread which asked about recordings of bassists who typified the Rickenbacker sound - I even included a picture from the offcial Jam website!! ;)

I saw the last ever Jam gig which was in my home town of Brighton - I think they are very much an English band and a lot of the references must be difficult for anyone else.

At the time I loved the Jam and it was great when every single went straight in at Number one and they were on "Top of the Pops" every week.

But my girfriend bought a greatest hits CD and it all sounds a bit "dated" now - I tend to prefer Paul Weller's recent solo work to listen to now and it's pretty clear who was the major talent in the Jam. ;)
  12. JeremyBender

Oct 22, 2001
    I would agree.. I saw Paul Weller here in NY recently and he was fantastic.. basically an acoustic set. He is very talented.. although I didn't like the band he started after the Jam days which I forget the name of.. Style Council I think.. he was a very innovative soung writer.. I still listen to The Jam often though.. and it is dated. but it still kicks ass!
  13. bggeezer

bggeezer Guest

May 25, 2001
    Of Course The Jam is dated..... they split up 20 yrs ago......Foxton is still a kick ass bass man however.....

he now plays with Jake Burns and holds down the bottom end in Stiff Little Fingers.....
  14. XavierG - The Jam was your era too! Like Bruce L. says they probably didn't make it big in the U.S.

I think Bruce Foxton was an excellent bassist. I really like some of the parts he played, and the speed with which he played them was amazing (or is it just that I'm really slow??).

Our band does several Jam numbers and they're always received enthusiastically - particularly Tube Station.

I really like Paul Weller too, but the Jam would not have been nearly so good without Bruce's great lines, his technical ability and the fact that he sang some great backing at the same time!

Paul Weller seems to use great bassists these days too. I reckon he has learnt a lot from the Beatles ;)
  15. Not fair to say nobody knows him! :mad:

I think ole Brian Foxton is the greatest! :D :p
`s 1:10am and I`m bored so forgive me.
  16. adagiogray

Jan 11, 2014
    Columbus, OH
    Old thread, but rates a response: The hooks in A Town Called Malice sink into you deeply.

GregC likes this.
  17. Fawkesguy

Fawkesguy The sea refuses no river.

Mar 5, 2005
  18. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    I love Bruce's playing and virtually all of the Jam's work, though the All Mod Cons/Setting Sons period is my favorite.