Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bruce foxton/bass choice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bar., Mar 9, 2004.

1. bar.

bar.

Mar 9, 2004
    hi all,
    i am new here and new to bass with my previous experience limited to playing a friends one and my guitars.
    what has got me interested is bruce foxton of the jam. can anyone give any advise on sounding, playing like him and also peter hook of joy division?
    i am also neeeding a bas for no more than £250 so bruce's rickenbackers out :)
    has anyone got any advice? as ashort ass i would prefer a light weight option and wondered what if anything i would gain froma shortscale bass? i am thinking about burns? what do you reckon? no metal/heavy rock style things thanks and want 4 strings only and a 60's sound ala the aforementioned and the who,kinks,beatles etc. and yes i know bruce was a 70's player but the jam did look back in some respects.
    thanks to anyone that can assist.

2. ThunderBoomer

ThunderBoomer

Feb 22, 2004
    See if you can get your hands on a Danelectro. Cheap and generally good reviews. And definitely a '60s vibe, in both looks and sound. And very light. They make short scale and long scale basses. Or at least they did, I don't know if they are making anything any more.

3. bar.

bar.

Mar 9, 2004
    hi,
    thanks for the response. i owned a dano guitar up to about 2 months ago. good value but not too solid in my opinion. my guitar tutor had the baritone one too which he liked for it's uniqueness. i probably overstated the weight aspect because i've got back/neck ache today from computer work rather than guitar/bass action :)
    i have been advised elsewhere that the epi viola may be suitable. being a ebatkes fan i would be tempted but the finish looks awful, too bright and yello by half. hopefully it's a case of the photos not doing it justice.
    anyway thanks for the advice.

4. wingnutkj

wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    Scotland
    The Epiphone viola is a possibility, although you'll probably find that the humbucker at the neck is too fat/muddy for Hook/Foxton type stuff.

Another possibility is one of the Fender/Squier short-scales; the Squier Bronco is fairly commonly available and dirt cheap, but it's not great quality. I've got one, and it sounds OK (plays well with a pick).

Slightly harder to track down / more expensive are the Fender Mustang bass reissue, the Squier Vista series Musicmaster made in the mid-90s, and the original Fender Mustang and Musicmasters, which you can sometimes find for good prices.

5. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    A P-Bass will do pretty much what you want. String it with flats for the Foxton sound, or with Rotosound rounds for the Hooky tone. A good, 70s-era P-bass (to evoke that kind of vibe) shouldn't set you back too much cash.

Russ :bassist: