Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bruce - How was Jazz Camp?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Roark Haver, Jul 30, 2003.

1. Hi Bruce, I see your back. How was your Jazz Camp experience?

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

How can you see my back!! ?? Oh right! ;)

Well it was like the curate's egg!!

I didn't play as well as I could and I had back ache at the beginning of the week.

Tuesday morning was torture - back pain and going over the same tune again and again as the trumpet player in our band couldn't get it! :rolleyes:

Our small band tutor had written some difficult tunes - with written parts for every instrument - even drums!!

Each tune had its own idiosyncracies - so one started in 4/4 with very unusual chords, shifting chromatically, then going down a minor third four times. Then it went to a few bars of 3/2, then to 3/4, then back to 4/4 !

Then the improvising was in 3/4 - then back to a written feature for the drummer, then head out as above with an additional coda.

Well - you get the idea!

But I was able to get some relief - as with some friends who I play with locally, I formed an impromptu band - and as nobody else wanted to be leader and get us on the bill at the nightly "Jazz Club" - it ended up as the Bruce Lindfield Quintet !! :eek: Even though the Flugel and Piano players had written the tunes and arrangements we did! ;)

It was a nice change from the hard work.

But the whole week was very sociable and there was lotsof great music to be heard - from tutors (all Jazz pros who gig regularly in the UK) and students.

Drank too much and got to play both BG and EUB a lot - talked to a lot of DB players, made new friends and was "stretched" musically!!

Has to be good really!! :D

3. That's very inspiring. Man, I wish I could find time to do something like that. Maybe down the road.

4. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Ditto that, that sounded like a a great experience.

[ Badgers, Badgers, we don't need no stinkin BADGERS!

Weird Al - UHF the movie ]

5. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Heh, maybe I should go next year, and be the painist (sic) in the New Bruce Lindfield Quintet :D

6. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    ...Oh and Bruce, you missed your opportunity to say "this one time, at band camp..." :D

7. screw time, i got plenty of it, i just wish i could find some PLACE to do something like that! my area is a waste land for musical things of this nature :bawl:

8. Bruce Lindfield

We had a very nice pianist - Catherine or Cath - who wrote a nice ballad for us - but by all means come along - but you will have to book early! Bass and drums have no problem as they are in short supply, but there are always too many pianists and sax players applying and several people I know waited too late and couldn't get in or got put on a 'standby' list.

The first year I went, there were two pianists to each group - which caused a lot of complaints and for the last few years they have strictly limited this - so each small group is a proper band - we had trumpet, tenor, guitar, piano bass and drums for example.

There are some brilliant piano tutors each year - so my group tutor was Pete Saberton and there were also Liam Noble, Simon Purcell and Pete Churchill. Plus the guest for the week was Kirk Lightsey, an American pianist who has played on many Motown hits - he recalled playing sessions with a very young Stevie Wonder on drums!! :eek: He also played with lots of Jazz stars - even John Coltrane and was a regular in Dexter Gordon's group!

http://www.conception-records.de/html/artists4.htm

9. Bruce- was this the Jamey Aebersold Jazz camp, or something else entirely? I've seen the website for the Aebersold ones and they look amazingly helpful.

Pardon my stupidity :rolleyes:

10. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Hey DEFELDUS, there's several jazz camps that i know that are in the USA. A few quick examples are: The Jamey Aebersold Camps [i believe Chris Fitzgerald is involved w/these], Blue Lake Summer Fine Arts Camps [they have a jazz camp there], and i'm sure there are many more. I know all those are in the Midwest. I'm researching camps for next year :D That's all

11. Bruce Lindfield

No there is an Aebersold Jazz Summerschool in England, but having heard reports from people who have been to both, I feel that the one I attended was more what I wanted. Also the Aebersold one cots £600 without accommodation, while the one I attended was £300 including good accommodation!! :)

So - I have heard that on the Aebersold course there is quite a bit of classroom work on theory - actually writing stuff down! :eek: Whereas the one I attended, has a big emphasis on playing with other people in small and large groups, jamming and getting music together for performance.

So there is a Jazz club every night in the college's student union bar and everybody plays - students and tutors - and given that there are about 150 people, just on the Jazz course - there is always a good-sized audience!

Students on other courses come along as well - so you notice the photography students - snapping everywhere - one even asked if he could take a photo of me on my own, tuning up my bass! :confused:

So the Summerschool I attended was at the University of Glamorgan and it always has the best range of tutors and is great fun!!

Try this link :

http://www.glam.ac.uk/summerschool/course.php?courseID=14

12. Bruce Lindfield

So - any takers for next year?

It'll do you good and is great fun!! :)

13. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Bruce, I might be interested in doing this, subject to my grasp of theory improving by, oh, 1000% before next Summer! I have gone back to basics at the moment and am trying to develop a grasp of general music and jazz bass theory. I'm working on Ed Friedland's walking bassline books slowly, but I've just picked up John Goldsby's Jazz Bass and stuff from the '30s and '40s is going over my head, so I've got some way to go!

When is the application deadline for next Summer?

14. Bruce Lindfield

As a bass player you are going to be OK up until about next June!! ;) But if you were trying to get in as a Tenor Sax player or Pianist - I would say - now!!

Seriously, they are always short of drummers and bass players - they make up the numbers with "student tutors" - basically music students who are of a very high standard and are trying to get into teaching music.

15. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    The likelyhood of me being about to fork out £300 this time next year doesn't seem high... But, you never know.

16. Bruce Lindfield

Well it's actually £235 for the course and £85 for the accommodation and there are concessions although not much - you could always put up a tent in the grounds!! ;)

It always seems remarkably cheap to me - (as I say - the Aebersold one is £600 without accommodation!) - especially drinks in the student union bar for the Jazz club!! I always end up drinking too much! ;)

I always think I'm going to go for two weeks, but never get round to it - maybe next year I will just go for the second week as I have always been on the first week! :)

17. Bruce Lindfield

I just had a further thought about what you said here.

I tend to find that it is not theory or bass technique that is my problem each year - but rather knowledge of repertoire!

So - I am usually ahead of most Sax players in terms of theory - but I am always way behind in "knowing tunes" ....

So they will tend to assume you know hundreds of Jazz standards and a lot of people playing instruments other than bass, will know loads of these without even needing music.

Also - thes are concentrated around the early eras of Jazz - so basically anything after the 60s doesn't count - knowing Jaco tunes or Headhunters ones, will do you no good!! ;)

My main solution is to carry around loads of Real Books - but this often doesn't work as people know different versions and if you don't have parts for Eb and Bb instruments of your version, then there are problems.

Also - you have to get used to playing from chord charts at the drop of a hat - so straight in on the first beat of the bar and away - even if you don't know the tune at all!!

18. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Ahh it's a two week thing is it? So presumably the price you gave is just for the one week, and it would be twice that for the whole two weeks?

19. Bruce Lindfield

There are two weeks and a lot of people go for both - but that would be double the price I've mentioned.

I often find that I've got things on which prevent me going for two weeks - gigs etc. I also find one week pretty exhausting in itself!! A lot of people I've talked to are 'burned out' by mid-week as they try to do too much, drink too much alcohol in the bar each night and don't drink enough water or eat proper food.

So - the day can be like - 9.00 start - working on pretty hard tunes for two hours at a time - half hour lunch - more sessions playing or with instrumental tutors. - then Jam sessions - then get ready to play in the Jazz club - try to find time alone to practice ideas for solos - Jazz club starts at 8.30 pm - playing and drinking a lot - chatting to people, "networking" - listening to the the tutors and better players, thinking - must practice more!! This goes on till about 12.30 - then talk to more people, more talking and drinking wine back at student flats etc .

Oh and I forgot to mention it is a very steep and hilly site - so walking up and down hills all day between classes, dragging a bass amp between bands, classes, jams etc

After two weeks - I think I'd need another two weeks to recover!!

Although I suppose you can sleep all Saturday and most of Sunday - when it starts again with jam sessions in the afternoon and a Jazz club in the evening! ;)

20. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    That sounds really good actually. But if I was to apply as a pianist, I would have to get in early - and I can't be sure that I'd have the money next summer. I certainly don't have it now.

I could go with a different instrument, trumpet maybe.

Do the pianists get to use a real piano, or are they digital ones?

And the whole drinking in the bar bit you keep emphasizing - that's not compulsory, is it? :D

I don't drink, you see...