1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bruce Johnson's Xstrange instruments

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bkbirge, Sep 5, 2008.

1. bkbirge

bkbirge

Jun 25, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    Anyone know the status of the ampeg scroll basses? Bruce hasn't updated his site for a long time and I've emailed him several times over the last few years with no response.

http://xstrange.com/

Are these the rarest of the rare from small boutique manufacturers? Those shortscales have caught my eye many times.

2. Bruce is still making the basses - placed an order with him about 4 months ago. The Scroll Basses cost $3,900 now.

Estimated delivery time is around 18 months. Saying that, Dave Swift (bass player for Jools Holland) had to wait for 3 years for his to be completed!!

Building the basses isn't Bruce's full time job - he spends most of his working time designing stuff for Disney and NASA and the like.

Here's some pics of the latest incarnation of the basses:

IMG_1120B.
    IMG_1125B.
    IMG_1294B.
    IMG_1300B.
    IMG_1319B.
    IMG_1326B.
    IMG_1327B.
    IMG_1374B.
    IMG_1627B.
    IMG_1642B.
    IMG_1648B.
    IMG_1677B.

3. bkbirge

bkbirge

Jun 25, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    Man that's a jump in price but great looking instrument. Looks like he's changed the pickup config again.

4. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Wow...that's is stunning work.
    I've always admired those.

5. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    He's never responded to any of my emails either, over a period of a couple of years. :meh:

6. Y'know, Eastwood makes an over-the-counter clone of those. No scroll headstock, but for $699 and fast availability it might be worth a look.

7. Left Left Goose

Left Left Goose Banned

Aug 19, 2008
    hows the neckdive on those?

8. BigRedX

BigRedX

May 1, 2006
    If any UK viewers are interested there's one in the Bass Gallery in London for £2500. I might have been tempted if I hadn't just handed over a similar sum for my Sei bass...