Bruce Thomas

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by NewWaveBasser, Jun 3, 2001.

1. I think that was Elvis Costello´s bassist in the Attracions years. Love his bass style. Watching The Detectives, Pump lt Up, Radio Radio...this guy is one cool bass player and gets unnoticed...

Your thoughts???
  2. yeah, great player. he's done session work too eg. Suzanne Vega.

he did get a cover story in BP magazine a couple of years ago. strangely he never got interviewed by UK's Bassist mag though.......
  3. I agree, the disk "Accidents will Happen" is non-stop, great playing.
  4. I have always loved Bruce Thomas' playing, and credit him as my inspiration for having taken up the instrument. "Lipstick Vogue", "Party Girl", "Shabby and "Shabby Doll" are but a few of the Elvis Costello songs where Thomas shines. It's hard to find tabs of his work, however. If anyone knows what he's doing lately or how to contact him, I'd love to hear about it.
  5. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    When "My Aim Is True " came out, I was blown away by Bruce's very inventive basslines....that whole band was great!
  6. corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Some wonderful combo playing in the Attractions! The combination of Bruce's melodic bass playing and Steve Neive's crazy flights of fancy on the old Vox Contempo organ always kept things very inetresting and then, of course, the songwriter's no slouch, either. Elvis' guitar playing has always been very understated (and mixed really low on most of their recordings) but worked perfectly with the playing of the other 3. I'm thinking of the Live At the El Mocambo version of "Lipstick Vogue" as one of my favorite bits. There are so many great tracks, though. Any 15 year old punk/popper out there needs to get a copy of "This Year's Model" right away.
  7. crud19

Sep 26, 2001
    Actually, no Bruce on "My Aim is True." The backing band on that album were some dudes who ended up playing in Huey Lewis and the News. No kidding. The Attractions first appeared on "This Year's Model." (There are, however a couple live tracks on the "MAIT" bonus disk that feature them)
  8. Clover is the rhythm band that backed Elvis Costello on "My Aim Is True" and it took nearly a dozen years for Elvis to be allowed, contractually speaking, to acknowledge that fact in written liner notes. They called themselves The Shamrocks for the recording. Extra bonus points for knowing that the bassist was Johnny Ciambotti, except on the track "Mystery Dance" where Nick Lowe (who produced the record) played bass.
  9. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    /runs to get 25 year old vinyl copy of "My Aim" from collection...........Clover....oops:D.....The bassist was Johnny Ciambotti!......Great stuff...I wonder where he went.
  10. He's now a bit heavier chiropractor in Toluca Lake, CA!
  11. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    In addition to being a chiropractor, Dr. John Ciambotti played bass for Lucinda Williams for many years (he's on "Lucinda Williams", "Sweet Old World", "Car Wheels on a Gravel Road"), did some more work with Elvis C. in the 90s, too.

Before he hooked up wtih Elvis, Bruce Thomas was in the UK band Quiver which did a few LPs before hooking up as backup band for the Sutherland Brothers. Very cool stuff but way more laid back than the Elvis stuff, actually kinda like the Grateful Dead :eek:
  12. And before that, Bruce Thomas played in a band with called The Roadrunners with one of the UK's more distinctive vocalists, Paul Rodgers. Radioactive!
  13. Dec

Nov 25, 2010
    Actually if you visit costellos site there is a comment about my aim is true being re recorded with the attractions and release in north america for a short time, some just cause for some confusion here I think.

P.S. No watching the detectives on the UK version.
  14. Ezbass

Apr 3, 2008
    A great bass player. After he had his salmon pink P stolen he replaced it with a white one. He sold that back to the UK's Bass Centre a couple of years ago and I picked it up. It's a great instrument and I love playing Attractions' numbers on it.

He seems more active with his writing these days rather than playing, shame.
  15. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003

A very under rated player.
    His work with Elvis Costello is a must for any serious player.
    Love his tone, feel, and attitude.
    And I lusted after his Salmon Pink P-bass for years.
  16. The Mouse

The Mouse

Jun 2, 2009
    A beast of a player.. Under rated? I think not..
  17. Bipslapper

Bipslapper Well Ahoy, Paloi Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Cape Cod, MA
    Check out Trust as well. Monster player and very melodic with a fantastic tone. He and the drummer, Pete Thomas, really synched together. As a teenager in the early 1980's learning bass, Bruce was as important to me as John Paul Jones and Geddy Lee.

Wonderful player.
  18. plangentmusic

plangentmusic Banned

Jun 30, 2010
    In general, a great, melodic rock bassist, with chops. But check out the chordal work on "HUMAN HANDS." Gorgeous and creative.
  19. One Drop

One Drop Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Love his lines, sound like no one else's. Very creative player, pity he doesn't get on with EC enough to play with him these days.