1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bruch's Kol Nidrei

Discussion in 'Music Theory [DB]' started by anthem274, Oct 2, 2005.

1. anthem274

anthem274

Jul 19, 2003
    Arlington, TX
    I'm very interested in playing Bruch's Kol Nidrei with my high school orchestra. I found the arranged version for double bass and piano on lemur, but I don't know if the orchestral tuning would fit the arrangement originally for cello and orchestra. Does anybody know if it would need to be in solo tuning? If so, where could I find a copy of it?

Thank you,
    Brandon

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    If you're doing it in cello register, solo tuning would make it a littler easier playing up high -- and harder to read.

3. bejoyous

bejoyous

Oct 23, 2005
    London, Ontario
    Stuart Sankey has a nice edition published by International. One side of the sheet has the piece in C minor for solo tuning and D minor on the other side for orchestral tuning. If you want to save yourself $300 for a set of string, an hour+ to change your strings, adjusting a bent bridge, waiting for your bass to setle in to the new tuning, not being able to rehearse with your ensembles for a week, etc.; do yourself a favour and learn it in D minor for orchestral tuning. Just play closer to the bridge to cut though the orchestra.
    I've played it several times and the piece sounds great in D minor. The piano part has the origional cello part if you have any questions about the edition.