Bruch's Kol Nidrei

Discussion in 'Music Theory [DB]' started by anthem274, Oct 2, 2005.

1. anthem274

Jul 19, 2003
    Arlington, TX
    I'm very interested in playing Bruch's Kol Nidrei with my high school orchestra. I found the arranged version for double bass and piano on lemur, but I don't know if the orchestral tuning would fit the arrangement originally for cello and orchestra. Does anybody know if it would need to be in solo tuning? If so, where could I find a copy of it?

Thank you,
  2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    If you're doing it in cello register, solo tuning would make it a littler easier playing up high -- and harder to read.
  3. bejoyous

Oct 23, 2005
    London, Ontario
    Stuart Sankey has a nice edition published by International. One side of the sheet has the piece in C minor for solo tuning and D minor on the other side for orchestral tuning. If you want to save yourself $300 for a set of string, an hour+ to change your strings, adjusting a bent bridge, waiting for your bass to setle in to the new tuning, not being able to rehearse with your ensembles for a week, etc.; do yourself a favour and learn it in D minor for orchestral tuning. Just play closer to the bridge to cut though the orchestra.
    I've played it several times and the piece sounds great in D minor. The piano part has the origional cello part if you have any questions about the edition.