Bruised thumb?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by kirbywrx, Sep 13, 2003.

1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Well everyone knows where their strings and thumb come in contact when they slap right? Well right on that joint is really painful when i slap. I dont slap hard at all, yet every time i do it, i cant slap more than 3 or 4 notes without having to stop in pain.

Im not sure weather or not its bruised. There is no purple skin like the typical bruise, just the thin callous i normally have. Anyone have any ideas on what i can do?
  2. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Don't slap! Give your thumb a chance to heal. Wait a week or two (if you can) and see what it feels like then. If your thumb still hurts,maybe slapping is not for you! :)
  3. you've likely bruised the bone, which won't show up for a week or so, if even that!

hope you get better soon :)
  4. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss

I concur, give it a rest.

5. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Its posible to bruise a bone? Hmmpf, never knew that. Wait, yes i did, my friend bruised his ribs last year..
  6. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Yes it is very possible and quite common, especially on superficial bone prominences. Usually evidenced by a yellowish bruise, indicates a leakage of marrow.

7. When I first started slapping my thumb got REALLY sore, so I took a break for a week and now I can slap forever and ever and ever (end before the first forever :p)
  8. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Crikey Kirbs, how hard do you hit when you slap? Sounds like you're bangin harder than a dunny door?
  9. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I admit i do slap rather hard, but nothing harder than normal. Ive always slapped this hard, but why is it only coming up now? :confused:

I can feel and see the callouse and lump, but i cant see any yellowish bruising. Ill just lay off the slapping for as long as possible.
  10. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    Sounds like you have a very small sliver in you thumb. You can't see where it went in but it's sore as hell, and sensitive to the touch. If you let is soak in peroxide for 20 minuets of so a few days in a row that will help it to come out.