1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bruno Mars' Bassit KILLS it!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by LeopoldBoom, Oct 4, 2013.

1. LeopoldBoom

LeopoldBoom

Aug 27, 2012
    Ireland
    Mr. Jamereo Artis, what a player! I just saw this video today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_U3fWXIBIg

I was bowled over by 1) the fantastic re-arrangement of the tune and 2) THAT BASSLINE! Really excellent, tasteful, busy (in a great way) playing.

I know he's been getting quite a bit of kudos for his playing both here and elsewhere but I just had to share this particular performance!

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That is indeed brilliant playing. The man is truly a modern version Jamie Jamerson. His playing is melodic and creative, but it never gets in the way of Marrs vocals. Jamereo is the man!:bassist:

3. LeopoldBoom

LeopoldBoom

Aug 27, 2012
    Ireland
    Too true! He's like a modern reincarnation!

4. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Love his playing!

5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Well known in the urban church bass world. Made famous by his time on P Diddy's Making The Band show. A true showman. Has chops, can sing and dance all at the same time. Not many can do that!

6. cableguy

cableguy

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    +1

7. LeopoldBoom

LeopoldBoom

Aug 27, 2012
    Ireland
    It's great to hear top class bass playing so prominently displayed in a modern artist's music.

8. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    Thanks for naming him, we do a couple of Bruno's tunes and I am too lazy to search for such things, but have certainly noticed this very accomplished and musical young man. Love his style. His approach reminds me of Wilbur Bascomb, another very tasty player.

9. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    That was great and I really enjoyed it. Such a great song, great arrangement and great playing. Thanks for sharing.

10. They are all good......plus dance moves.....

11. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Nice!

12. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it

A humble ode to Jamerson's "What's Going On" bassline. Sweet-ass tone too. Nice and upfront in the mix. But...sounds like he flubs a bit at around 3:11!

13. lokerola

lokerola Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Alexandria Virginia
    Tasty and melodic! Fantastic playing...

14. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

Oct 17, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Just for the record he joined Mars after the album with his first big hits. Richard Windmann is listed for the studio version of Just The Way You Are.

15. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    right nice playin there.

16. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    Ok, cool. I suppose I meant that I had seen him a couple of times on live TV performances, and enjoyed what he did. I don't own any of Mars' recordings. Still the OP's video show's what he is capable of, IMO very impressive.