1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bryan Adams Bass-Syncing on the Tonight Show?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Jontom, May 28, 2002.

1. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    Did anyone see Bryan (Summer of '69) Adams on the Tonight Show "playing" bass? I honest to God think he was "Bass Syncing"! He was performing a song from the "Spirit" movie soundtrack, he had a cast on his right arm...and I think because of the cast, he couldn't play guitar. Hence, he slapped on a Silver P-bass and "Bass-Synched" the line played by the keyboardist (not even close, I might add)! Was anyone else witness to this horror show?

2. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I saw it, but I thought he was really playing.

3. Actually, I think he's following Sheryl Crow's example and playing a lot more bass -ugh, guitarists play bass like a guitar!- I saw him playing bass on a televised concert.

4. I heard several licks that he didn't play, I thought it was because of the cast.

5. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    I figure he just felt more comfortable with something strapped on, and since you can't really fake strum with a cast on, his only option was to fake some fingerstyle on a bass. The thing was the bassline to the song had an eighth note drive to it and he was plucking whole notes without nailing the down beats. I will not even get in to what his left hand was doing...

6. I saw it, and I couldn't tell if he was playing or not.
    now that I think about it, it's probably a combonation of everyones posts.
    • keyboard doing the fills
    • him really playing, but very minimum style wise (he's a guitarist)
    • him wishing he was playing "cuts like a knife"

7. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    he did a tour playing bass only.
    His bass player couldn't make the tour for I don't know why, and he played the bass.