Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bryan Adams Bass-Syncing on the Tonight Show?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Jontom, May 28, 2002.

1. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    Did anyone see Bryan (Summer of '69) Adams on the Tonight Show "playing" bass? I honest to God think he was "Bass Syncing"! He was performing a song from the "Spirit" movie soundtrack, he had a cast on his right arm...and I think because of the cast, he couldn't play guitar. Hence, he slapped on a Silver P-bass and "Bass-Synched" the line played by the keyboardist (not even close, I might add)! Was anyone else witness to this horror show?

2. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I saw it, but I thought he was really playing.

3. Actually, I think he's following Sheryl Crow's example and playing a lot more bass -ugh, guitarists play bass like a guitar!- I saw him playing bass on a televised concert.

4. I heard several licks that he didn't play, I thought it was because of the cast.

5. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    I figure he just felt more comfortable with something strapped on, and since you can't really fake strum with a cast on, his only option was to fake some fingerstyle on a bass. The thing was the bassline to the song had an eighth note drive to it and he was plucking whole notes without nailing the down beats. I will not even get in to what his left hand was doing...

6. I saw it, and I couldn't tell if he was playing or not.
    now that I think about it, it's probably a combonation of everyones posts.
    • keyboard doing the fills
    • him really playing, but very minimum style wise (he's a guitarist)
    • him wishing he was playing "cuts like a knife"

7. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    he did a tour playing bass only.
    His bass player couldn't make the tour for I don't know why, and he played the bass.