Bryan Beller...a beer dolphin?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by CROZ, Mar 11, 2001.

1. I went to see Mike Kennealy & Beer for Dolphins last night. What do you guys think about Bryan Beller? I think he kicks ass. He and his Mo'bass busted out some serious tone all the way down to the low B. Mike Lull was on hand to check up on his creation (a sweet quilttop modern 5).
    That's my dream now... I want a custom bass and I want to make it come alive for the maker. It'll be like Pinocchio & Gepetto except for the awkward cricket/nose/circus/donkey thing...
    The only problem is the name of the band is Mike Kennealy & Beer for Dolphins. There could have been better beer there. I hate that sissy microbrew/import crap.
  2. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Beller kicks some butt...
    Half-Alive In Hollywood is a release of theirs' worth looking into.

I've seen too many players using beat-up Fender P-basses with beat-up Ampeg amps that's the player, NOT the equipment! :D
  3. BFD is one of my favorite bands, and they are all superior players. For those of you not familiar, Frank Zappa called Mike Keneally the best guitarist that he (Frank) had ever played with. Bryan Beller is one of the best out there right now- super tasteful and right where the bass needs to be all the time.

The Beer for Dolphins name comes from a song on Keneally's second solo album "Boil That Dust Speck". It is a reference to adult beverages consumed during the recording.

Check out Keneally's site:
    There are also columns written by BB. Funny, and informative. Bryan is also head of R&D for SWR.
  4. I'm just glad to know firsthand that one of the BP columnists can actually play.<p>
    BTW, JimK stop it! You're giving me gas for a '63 p-bass and a fliptop. :D
  5. Um, what? That "microbrew/import crap" is real beer, not the stuff that Miller, Anheuser-Busch, etc. pawn off as beer. America is just now beginning to recover from Prohibition. That's like going to Thanksgiving dinner at your grandmothers and telling everyone that you wished she had served TV dinners instead of cooking for two days. ;)

FWIW, what were they serving, and what would you have rather had?
  6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I'm so glad I live in Germany...:D
  7. cole

Sep 14, 2000
    I'm so glad I don't drink.
  8. I'm sorry but I like BUD. Its a comfort beer.
  9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You simply don't know what you're missing, cole...;)

There's nothing like a Pilsener after a good gig...
  10. Unless it's a nice bottle of LaTrappe Quad....
  11. JoelT

Aug 7, 2000
    The whole Beer for Dolphins band impresses me, but yes, Bryan Beller has a very nice style. Took me long enough to get one of their CDs (Dancing), but I'm glad I did. Keneally and Beller also do some nice work on James LaBrie's Mullmuzzler CD.

(trying quite hard to figure out a Flecktones song)
  12. ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    You know they say that American beer is like making love in a's f*ing close to water.
  13. Also check out Neil Sadler's "Theory of Forms" , some great playing from Mike and Bryan as well as some of the Fowler brothers (for the FZ fans out there). Bruce Fowler is a trombone GOD!