1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

BS Alert

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wespe, Oct 21, 2006.

1. Wespe

Wespe

Feb 21, 2006
    My friend was out looking in one of the used gear music shops in my town, and he said he came across a vintage Ampeg cab for 250, and that he wanted to split the cost with me. We both tend to share all the same equipment since we're both bassists, we're in a few of the same bands, and we work together on a fair amount of musical endeavours, so we both knew it'd be beneficial to both of us, and he said he would repay me. I talked over the legal matters with my dad since he's very savvy with that sort of thing, but that's beside the point. My friend showed me this vintage ampeg cab which cost 250 dollars, and what I was looking at was an Ampeg 8x10. It sounds kind of sketchy to me, because I imagine any sort of vintage cab in good working condition would cost more than current retail price, which as most of you know runs about 1,000 dollars. I'm going in later today with him to try out the cab, but I want to know what sort of things I should look for to determine if the purchase is going to be worth it. I've heard with these old cabs that there can be some wear and tear that you can't really see, and I want to know what sort of things I should listen for. Also, if it's possible, how can I determine if one or more of the speakers isn't working without taking the cab apart? Thanks in advance.

2. push all the speakers gently in, should be perfectly smooth (push directly in and make sure you have your fingers spread evenly over the cone so you dont damage anything)

also, a vintage cab will be square backed, not tilt and roll like the current ones (Incase you hadnt checked)

try it with an amp head, and see how it works all before buying too.

There are some awsome deals out there to be had, and i havent seen any vintage ampeg cabs go for more than retail.

(please take this into account, when buying musical equipment £1=$1 be it new or second hand)

I have seen some amazing things go, ive seen a vintage (1974) ampeg 8x10 and vintage (1973) SVT head, both in MINT condition, both being just checked out by a tech, and all valves being in perfect condition. go for a measly £750!

3. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    GC had a 1st year SVT with two 8x10s with covers for $1000. They just wanted to get rid of it. I called my buddy he borrowed a truck and got it and thanks me to this day. It had actually been in a guys basement since he bought it new.

4. K2000

K2000

Nov 16, 2005
    Brooklyn
    Have your buddy play through the cab, while you move your head around each speaker in the cab, to make sure that each speaker is firing (don't play loud while doing this).

Listen for rattles in general, at higher volumes, buzzing speakers etc.

A used Ampeg 8x10 can be had for about 400 dollars (since they can be hard to sell, due to the weight). Sounds like you're getting a good deal. Don't worry if the cabinet is a little chewed up looking, a big cab like that can pick up a lot of dings along the way. As long as it sounds good, you're going to score.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 15, 2021