1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

BSO Audition Material

Discussion in 'Orchestral Auditions [DB]' started by irbassist, Jul 25, 2012.

1. irbassist

irbassist

Jun 17, 2009
  2. I've been asked to submit a recording first...I have a snowball's chance, but I will send in the recording. And yes, good luck to everyone taking the audition! (be sure to get the updated Schoenberg excerpt, sent this morning by the audition coordinator)

3. Herbie 80's

Herbie 80's

Dec 15, 2008
    That's an intense excerpt list!

4. I've only seen a handful of top level audition lists, but I'm surprised at how specific the list is in regards to what solos are to be played.

Looks like I need to put the third suite together some time in the near future...not that I'm taking this particular audition.

5. for the initial recording, the excerpts they've asked for are Brahms 1 (mm 161 through 189); Beethoven 5 trio (top through mm. 177); Mozart 35, last mvt (top through mm 37); Lt. Kije solo; and the recitative from Beethoven 9 through bar 75.

6. chris1125

chris1125

May 14, 2007
    That's not to bad... is it normal for an orchestra to ask for them to play chamber music in the final round? I've never heard of that, I would think it would be particularly intimidating to be playing with the other members who you've never played with before.

7. cold elephant

cold elephant

May 9, 2005
    Principal bass auditions for the Northern Sinfonia here in England asked for Bach orchestral suite in C first 3 movements and Dvorak quintet. Granted they are a chamber orchestra and they do a sizeable amount chamber music, so obviously that's important. Pretty sure I've seen Rossini Duetto on the list for various gigs in France too for principal spots.