1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

BSX Allegro defective purchase

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by CDweller, Nov 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CDweller

CDweller

Oct 24, 2009
    Clearwater, FL
    I purchased a BSX Allegro from BSX on August 11 of this year. It arrived a few days later, but I did not open up the package it came in until I completed my move from NY to Clearwater, Fl around Oct 1st. The bass was purchased to be used in school, as I started studies at Jeff Berlin's Players School of Music on October 4th. After opening and assembling the bass, it was clear, clear as a bell ironically, that it had a problem with distortion when notes on the A string were played. The distortion arose from the index finger of the right hand coming to a rest against the E string after following through from plucking a note on the A string.

I called BSX, and was instructed to make sure that the settings were dialed in on the preamp. I did, but to no avail. So it was determined that the bass had to be returned. I sent it back on Oct 11.

Didn't hear back from BSX for four weeks, which was contrary to the proprietor's word that he'd get to it right away, in my opinion, so I called them (Again, four weeks with no communication is a long time in my opinion. Perhaps that's lightening speed for others). I was told that there was nothing wrong with the bass and that it was going to be shipped back to me, at my expense. I was also told that the bass had been damaged during shipping to them. However, they did not inform me of this in a timely manner (one has to wonder how long it took them to get to the bass after it arrived on their property), and there was now no way for me or BSX to make a claim with the shipper. The damage now became my problem, despite the fact that I paid the shipper good money to both package and insure the bass.

Bass came back, and the same problem was there, obvious to anyone. Additionally, the D tuning peg was bent so much that the actual elephant ear separated from the post it's attached to. I don't think it happened during the return shipping from BSX to me, because it takes a lot of force to do this, there was no indication of significant trauma to the package it shipped in, and the whole head of the bass was safely bubble-wrapped. But I digress.

I know that both well-meaning and less well-intentioned people will ask, "Do you know what you're hearing/doing/ever played one of these things before- all roundabout ways of saying you don't know what you're doing. I happen to know what I'm doing, but I brought it to an expert for evaluation. I cannot disclose his identity, but suffice to say that the proprietor of BSX himself was wise enough to not even attempt the old "you sure you know what you're doing" with him. Remember, I'm keeping company down here with people who you could say are, among others, at the top of the food chain in the electric and upright bass world. I received a call from BSX after the expert called them, and was told to send the bass back, this time at their expense.

There was no mention of refunding the money I had already spent to have it shipped both ways. There was no mention of providing me with a loaner to help me in school, much less a reimbursement of the not insignificant money I've had to spend to rent an upright.

This is my experience thus far with BSX. It is my intention to let the community know of my experience, which I will say is underwhelming, to be polite. I will post my further experience when I ask the proprietor for a refund.

Would someone please comment on whose responsibility it is for the damage to the bass when it was shipped back to BSX? Again, I had the shipping store package and insure it, but I was not made aware of the damage until four weeks after it arrived back at BSX, which precluded a claim being filed.

2. BigBeatNut

BigBeatNut

Apr 10, 2006
    London, UK
    Is there an echo ? ... an echo ? ... an echo ?

I wonder what happened to the other thread that posed this question ?

3. CDweller

CDweller

Oct 24, 2009
    Clearwater, FL
    Yes, you're right. Answer: I had the thread deleted, because my attitude was really pissy and my writing struck me as hostile and not worth reading. I also didn't want to have it in what is essentially the BSX fan club thread. The people in that thread are enamored with their BSX basses, and I very quickly got two responses where people were asking me if I knew what I was doing and also saying that the proprietor is a great guy. I'm sure he is, and yes, I do. I would be rather delighted with this bass too if it didn't have this issue. It plays great, growls ferociously, and it sounds fantastic except for this no-go item. My experiences with this bass and with this company are less than acceptable. I'm doing my best to present what is transpiring with my dealings with this company as accurately as possible. Of course I'm biased, and I'm sure it's clear I don't think I'm getting a fair shake.

In the previous thread, I did not specifically ask for opinions regarding responsibility for reporting shipping damage, though I am soliciting opinions regarding that now. Would you care to comment on who's responsible for reporting shipping damage when you return a product to a manufacturer?

4. JtheJazzMan

JtheJazzMan

Apr 10, 2006
    Australia
    I think you opinion will be taken into account. Businesses should know its not worth putting their reputation on the line to save cash on a single item.

Having said that, how exhaustively did you test this distortion?

I have had strings rattle internally which sounded like distortion through a pickup.

I have also had pickups themselves distort through phasing issues. I am not familiar with the BSX's electronic setup though.

5. CDweller

CDweller

Oct 24, 2009
    Clearwater, FL
    The bass has a Bartolini piezo system installed. The issue lies in the piezo system, nowhere else. I evaluated the bass, and also brought it to an expert, who reached the same conclusion. There was concern that perhaps low battery voltage was the culprit, but the battery measured 8.4 volts, which is close enough, and also a fresh, exactly 9 volt battery didn't help. Please don't take offense, but I'll point out that your question is another variant of "you sure you know what you're doing?" I realize that you've asked in the spirit of helpfulness, and I appreciate that.

The bass is defective, gents. One of the nice thing about attending the Players School is that you're surrounded by heavy hitters, guys who are deeply entrenched in the music industry. Besides my own finding, the guy who I brought it to called the proprietor himself, and the proprietor realized that there was no further use in denying that there is an issue.

6. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Any bass manufacturer, EUB, BG or even acoustic, should know the power of this talkbass community. The good ones listen.

7. CDweller

CDweller

Oct 24, 2009
    Clearwater, FL
    Well, I didn't get the sense that my evaluation of the bass was ever accepted by BSX as legitimate and valid. I do have the good fortune of being in the company of fellows whose opinion nobody in their right mind would question.

At this point, I've taken a gamble and ordered a Shen SB80 from Upton for immediate delivery. I need a bass for school, and I've lost enough time and energy with my dealings with BSX. All I want from BSX is a refund. Of course, now we have to deal with the damage to bass that happened during the first shipping back to BSX, and come to an agreement over what financial burden I bear because BSX did not report this damage. Thanks a lot, BSX for a crappy experience.

8. CDweller

CDweller

Oct 24, 2009
    Clearwater, FL
    I shipped the bass back, and it arrived at BSX yesterday. I called today to check with the owner of BSX that the bass arrived safe and sound. My concern was that I would have a repeat of what happened when I shipped the bass back the first time, which was that I was not notified of damage to the bass during shipping until over four weeks after the fact. Thus I was not able to collect any insurance money on the damage to this bass. Sucks to be me; according to BSX rules I get to eat shipping and damages.

The owner informed me that he would not even open the shipment for another few weeks, as he is attending to his holiday rush. I don't see that as my issue, but his decision was to forestall even so little as checking to see if there was any shipping damage to the bass. At this point I threw in the towel with this guy. I asked him about his refund policy, which is that there are no refunds. That means that theoretically he could have sold me a bass that didn't function properly, have me ship it back on my dime, not fix it, say it was fixed, ship it back on my dime, and I'd be stuck with it...wait, that's what he did initially until I had an expert call him on it. I did not argue with him, but I did let him know that I bought that bass last summer with the intent of using it while attending music school full time, it has cost me a fair amount of money to rent a replacement, and that I've thus far spent over $250 in shipping the bass there, back, and there again. I also told him that he will be hearing from my attorney, and the credit card company. I have filed a dispute with the latter, and will be in contact with the former Monday.

I have rarely felt like I was such a burden to a merchant for requesting that the merchandise I spent thousands of dollars on function properly as I have with this transaction. YMMV.

9. JtheJazzMan

JtheJazzMan

Apr 10, 2006
    Australia
    Not sure what your local laws are but in my experience a seller cannot state "no refunds" when you haven't been supplied with a functioning item. "No refunds" only refers to buyers changing their mind after a sale.

10. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Sorry to hear that. As I said, this TB community should take note.

11. If attorneys are getting into this issue, maybe we'll have to delete this thread.
    I hope you understand.

In the past years I tried to contact the company owner via email a few times because I had some interest in these EUBs, but I never got any answer.
    Added to what I read now, I'm not really much surprised, sad to say.

12. CDweller

CDweller

Oct 24, 2009
    Clearwater, FL
    Mods- after contesting the charge with my credit card company, a refund was given. I would like to close this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.