BSX Allegro: solid body vs hollow body

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by David Morris, May 26, 2016.

1. David Morris

David Morris Supporting Member

May 22, 2002
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    A recent rash of tiny stages and my aging body has me considering buying an EUB to deal with the former and as an accommodation to the latter. I've owned several at different times in the past but never was able to bond with them. Maybe 4th time is a charm?

Anyway, I'm considering a couple of BSX Allegros that are currently on the market and wondering if anyone can comment on the relative merits or de-merits of the older BSX solid-body Allegro and the more recent hollow body version.

Any advice appreciated - thanks!

2. Solid bodys are harder to bow than hollow ones. But that depends on the construction of the hollow body. If the bridge feet sit on the ribs, you won't get much gain from the hollow body.

But this is a general thing, nothing specific to the BSX.

3. Neither. Merchant Vertical Bass

4. David Morris

May 22, 2002
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    I'm sure the Merchant is a quality instrument, but aesthetically doesn't do it for me. I prefer EUBs with vestigial bodies that resemble "real" basses.

5. Ortsom

Ortsom Inactive

Mar 23, 2016
    Thank you for that pointer. Interesting concept.

6. Mmm hmm. It's a doublebass, inside out. Brilliant.

7. ampix

ampix

May 12, 2016
    London
    Solid body

8. bobsax

bobsax

Jan 16, 2011
    Southern Oregon
    I have both solid and hollow BSX allegro basses. The solid ( that is no longer in production ) weighs more then an acoustic bass . The hollow is great. However I have never gotten used to the screw in body piece that sticks out of the side . I always play it sitting in a standard size chair.
    The long end pin for standing is awkward for me also. I think there are stands that let you play in a good standing position. If you find one let me know how it works?

9. David Morris

May 22, 2002
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Thanks for the on-point response. I made a deal last week on a one-owner sold body Allegro, but it hasn't arrived yet. I hope I don't find the screw in body piece too awkward, because I don't care for stands - I like to be able to move around a little on stage, and I do like to have something to brace my body against. I really like the adjustable bout found on the Azola Bugbass and I wish BSX would adopt a similar solution.

10. Tom Magri

Tom Magri Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2003
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    I have the BSX Allegro and find the balance with the screw in bout to be pretty good. I know a lot of players leave it off but I think it gives the bass a more comfortable feel and balance.