Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BT update: EA NL210, Epifani T410/T112/T110, Berg HT310

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by vanselus, Sep 23, 2004.

1. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Yep, that's right. Basstasters now does cabinets.

www.basstasters.com

Recorded with a AKG 414ULS @ 1 meter @ 110dB

Obviously there's lots more variables when mic'ing, but you'll be shocked at how well the tonal characteristics of each cab comes across.

Let me know what you think - it's an experiment in progress.

2. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Awesome comps -- what amp did you use (sorry if it says it somewhere obvious and I missed it)?

3. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Man, sorry I forgot that part in the post. I knew I shouldn't have posted that so early in the AM.

Preamp - Avalon U5
    Poweramp - Crest LT1500
    Cables - Evidence Audio
    Soundcard - Delta 66 w/ Omnistudio
    Software - Cakewalk SONOR 2.0

All of this info will be up on the site shortly.

Thanks for reminding me :D

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

I'm not even a BG player anymore, but I have to say, that's one great resource you've put together there. Well done!

5. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Chris: Thanks, bro! The EA NL-210 & Epi T110 seem like they would be great DB cabs, and soon i'll have the CXL112 on there too. If you think anyone would dig it, spread the word over in the "big hollow box" forum across the way.

Meek: Since the mic was a meter away from the cab, the placement with relation to speaker cone was not AS essential. I basically tried to line up the mic with the middle of the cabinet as a whole, and off-center of any particular driver. I also experimented with many different dB levels (with my trusty Radio Shack dB meter) and it seemed like 100-110dB gave the most "true" sound with this mic setup & room. Anything less and the sound didn't blossom, anything more and the room started to really affect the sound.

6. MASSIVE KOODOS to VAN! :bassist:

7. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Well done! Can't wait for more! Thanks!!

8. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Ok then, "on-axis" it is! The testing room is about 14'x14' with 10' ceiling. Carpeted. I was worried about room dynamics at first, but each cabinet seemed to have the same characteristics in the recording as they did when I auditioned them live, so I'm guessing whatever effects the room has on tone are being similarly reproduced overall.

Deconvolve? Oh boy, now you're REALLY getting in over my head. :D

And thanks B String & Big String!

9. pedroferreira

pedroferreira

Feb 10, 2003
    Portugal
    You are the man!!!! :bassist:

I can´t wait to make a comparision between EA Cxl 112 and Nl 210 :hyper:

If I may suggest:

You could record your bass lines direct (through U5) to Sonar.
    Then each time you want to test a cab you put the output of the soundcard to the power amp and play the prevously recorded tracks and record in another track the sound coming through the cab. ;)
    This way the comparision is more exact. The different dynamics used in each comparision, the problem of the strings age (when you record at different sessions), etc. disappears when you use the same source (direct recorded track).

Than you very much for sharing this with all of us

Pedro

10. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None

Thanks!

I've discussed this quite a bit in the past with a great many people. The string age is a major concern, especially since (IMHO) strings make more difference on tone than woods or pickups ever will. However, when recording test clips through preamps using the "pre-recorded" method, there's a missing element - how the preamp interacts with the player. Obviously I can't play every clip the same every time, and though I try to stay similar for sake of comparison, some gear responds better to a heavy touch, some better to a light touch. For this reason, the live clips sounded much more "true to life", that is, they sounded much closer to what that particular piece sounds in the real world.

Basstasters will never be (and was not meant to be) a perfect scientific analysis.

That said, I know you're not critisizing, and I really appreciate the constructive ideas! Basstasters has gotten 100x better from input from our incredible community, so thanks to you all!

11. pedroferreira

pedroferreira

Feb 10, 2003
    Portugal

I'm sorry if I appeared to be critisizing :crying:

I just gave one idea to make it "better" (and easier).
    I truly thank you for your work.
    Without guys like you, the guys like us, which can't try the gear before buying, maybe would not buy "anything".

The manufacturers should also be thankfull to you because they are selling gear to people that don't have a chance to try it before, but we can "hear" how it sounds (trough basstasters) without playing it.

Pedro

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    :eek:

holy mother...

:eek:

13. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Okay, everybody... start shipping your cabs to Todd! :D

14. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    And everybody give a big thanks to Nightbass for loaning me his Bergantino HT-310. Any idea which specs are the real ones, NB?

That's right Joker. I demand you send me your Meyer cabs to try.

That is...

as soon as you get them. :D

15. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Hey Todd, Tahnks for the hard work and a tremedous resource. I effing LOVE your site.

If you could find your way to pink noise those boxes for a response curve...you could rule the world.

16. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    The power rating is 600W (the HT310 was produced before Jim started using the 250W 10" drivers). I don't recollect the freq. resp.

17. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    Montana
    Ditto!

18. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    Montana
    > Any idea which specs are the real ones, NB?

The ones below are also the ones stated at Bass Central. I only know wattage on mine, but my Bergie 310 is marked 600w.

19. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Thanks for the good work you guys have done.

I know it won't do any good, but I agree with Pedro about using a uniform input source (using a medium touch). It just removes a major variable from the comparison process.
    The only place that wouldn't work is comparing different basses.

I don't mean to detract from what you've done, I just happen to suffer from OCD. :meh:

Thanks again!

20. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    After listening ot those clips I seem to have developed a strange twitch. I have a gut feeling that it wont go away until I own an EA 2x10. :D

Damn you, man...
    Travis
    :smug: