Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BTB-01 vs J-Retro vs U-Retro delux

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lowendtheory, Sep 4, 2003.

1. lowendtheory

lowendtheory I like the bass

Sep 2, 2003
    Australia, Brisbane
    anyone built their own bass out there and used one of these? i'm about to, but want to know if anyone has had problems with any of them. just the simple stuff: mounting depth, battery power,further adaptability. i want to run a pretty complicated pickup system (see my post also in this area) and a concern is that i'm going to need to chop up a heap of the body to put all the electronics in. if anyone has any ideas, warnings, words of advice, or anything of value, please post it. i'm desparate for help on this. i've got no idea.

cheers

2. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    OK..let me try this one. Re. mounting depth, you have the info on J-Retro web site. Essentially, standard Jazz routing is sufficiently deep, for U-Retro you can go a bit shallower.

Re. batteries, all 3 models will work with 9V or 18V, with 18V giving you a bit more headroom, though it is unlikely that you would need this with most pups.

Re. setup etc, it is pretty simple, as everything is pre-wired. All you need to do is to bring outputs from 2 pups to the right terminals. You can add whatever switching you want in front of the preamp. for example, my DP Custom has MM+J pups, so I have a switch that sets MM in Single Coil/Parallel/Serial mode, and then the output from the switch goes to U-Retro. Output from the J pup goes direct to the other input of the U-Retro.

These are awesome preamps, you will like the end result.
    [​IMG]
    Switches left to right: MM Switching, Pickup Selector (Passive Mode), Passive On/Off, LED Switch

3. lowendtheory

lowendtheory I like the bass

Sep 2, 2003
    Australia, Brisbane
    thanks for that, your info is appreciated.

i love the setup you've got going on there, looks just like what i want. i'm also curious, what kind of bridge is that and was it difficult to set up? i want a piezo bridge and a mate's yamaha had an aftermarket one put on before he bought it, but he doesn't know what it is, and apparently neither does anyone else.

cheers

4. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    That's an ABM bridge - each string has it's own. I don't know too much about Piezo bridges but here is a Wilkinson Bridge with a HighLander 18V Piezo system on my Rick Turner Electroline:

[​IMG]

Highlander system has one piezo transducer for each string, and a separate preamp for each string too, so that you can balance string-to-string outputs.

5. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass