1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

BTB-01

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Lorenzini, Apr 7, 2006.

1. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Is the BTB-01 as powerful as the J-Retro? I fail to see what the difference is, but then again I know very little about preamps.

If you can get Bass, Mid, Treble controls and still retain the bass' original tone control, what's the diff? Where's the tradeoff on tone or versatiliy?

Thanks,
    Matt:confused:

2. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    The BTB is strictly a 2-band (bass and treble) EQ, plus a "bright" switch. The J-Retro includes a sweepable mid control, and also an active blend control (separate buffer preamps for each pickup before they are blended together), an active/passive switch, and a pickup selector switch.

The BTB has a single stacked control, so it should be possible to combine it with your existing controls. The J-Retro is 3 stacked controls and a couple of switches that comes pre-mounted on a Jazz-style control plate (the U-Retro is the version without a control plate), so you wouldn't combine it with other controls.

Mike

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I just saw this preamp the other day on http://www.bestbassgear.com/btb-01-preamp.htm, and have to say that I am curious. I was looking for a two band preamp to put in my Marcus Miller Jazz, and this seems like it could be a contestant alongside a Bartolini circuit and a Seymour-Duncan circuit. Or maybe an Aguilar - I just can't choose!

Any more info on these?

4. mikezimmerman

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    What kind of info are you looking for? It's a two-band EQ with stacked controls--essentially the B/T section of the J-Retro preamp.

Also, are you aware that East makes a J-Retro preamp specifically for the Marcus Miller Jazz?

Mike

5. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Well, just opinions or feedback from people who have the unit. I guess it's been out for a while now, but I've never heard anything about it.

I was aware of the Marcus Miller preamp, but a) it's a _lot_ of money and b) I would rather just have to the two band than a three band with sweepable mids.

6. mikezimmerman

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Gotcha!

You might browse the J-Retro forum over on the Dudepit (http://www.vintagebass.com/thedudepit/forumdisplay.php?f=7). Also, JP (JPBasses) uses the BTB-01 on his custom basses, so you might try looking for his postings on the subject.

One simple issue I can see with using the BTB in your MM is that it has a single stacked pot instead of two separate pots for bass and treble. Rewiring it to new pots is probably possible, but likely to be a bit of a pain. However, I understand that East can do custom orders...

Mike

7. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    The stacked bass/treble controls are exactly what I'm looking for! I'm planning on putting in a two-band preamp with stacked controls and then making the fourth knob a passive tone control.

8. mikezimmerman

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Ah, that makes sense!

Mike