Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

btb 5 or 6 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassackwards051, Sep 16, 2004.

1. bassackwards051

bassackwards051

Sep 16, 2004
    ive been researching a lot of basses (mostly ibanez) and ive decided that i want to get a new ibanez (my current bass is an ibanez). Ive decided on the btb1005e or the btb1006e.

my only problem (besides money) is that i dont know whether to get a five or a 6 string. The six string is only 80 dollars more on the site i found. i own a 4 currently and i do a lot of slap/pop music. a 6 string would maybe be beneficial in my style of playing, but ive read so many posts that say that they had the same frame of mind and the c string only got in their way. i wanted to know your opinions on whether 6 string would be better than a 5, in this particular case.

2. picknslap

picknslap

Sep 9, 2004
    Manteca
    well, for starters. I love BTBs. and as far as 5 or 6 goes. Would you actually have use for the 6? Learning a 6er is great and can only make you a better player. I would go for the six, even if it has a bigger learning curve.

3. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I would go with the 6. If the C gets in the way, I would recommend working on your technique.

4. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    I have a BTB 505, which is the first version that came out. It has a 2 piece swamp ash body. It's good, but puts out a weak singal, like a passive bass' level. Oh yeah, go for the 5. I say that because I've never liked 6 strings and up. Just my opinion.

5. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    6er all the way

6. Stevious G

Stevious G

May 5, 2003
    I have the 1005. I wish it was the 1006. Damn lack of confidence in my abilities when I was looking for a new bass...

Ah well. 2 6-strings on the way now!

7. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    Try some 5s and 6s and see if you like one better than the other.

Also, take note if you like the necks on other Ibanezes, you may well hate the BTB necks. They're pretty chunky, especially in the 5 and 6 string range.

Also also, I'm not sure I'd recommend THAT pricey of a bass if you're still not exactly sure what type you're looking for.

...Although, if you DO happen to get a 1006 and decide you don't like it, I'll happily take first dibs on it for resale. ;)

8. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    I'd say play a bunch of different 6-strings (as many as you can get your hands on), and see if you feel comfortable with the upper string. If you do, go with the 1006e, if not, get the 1005e.

My preference is the 1006e.

-Aram