BTB Buzz

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by i_got_a_mohawk, Jul 8, 2005.

1. yesterday at band practice my BTB started buzzing like a bitch whenever i took my hands of the strings (the buzzing went away again whenever i touched the strings or any of the hardware [bridge, tuners, dials] )

can i assume this is a grounding problem :(
  2. I definately think that you have a grounding problem. that's what my local guitar shop guy told me my problem was, and I had the exact symptoms you do... odd thing is, that it just went away over time. You may want to try to get it fixed since you're in a live environment though.

3. Im gonna have a look at her tonight

I think it might be louder than most because its 18v active circuitry, still a pain in the ass either way

4. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Sounds like a grounding problem to me, should be pretty simple to get sorted. Mind you, I'm surprised it happened to a BTB, they're built like tanks! good luck getting it fixed :)
  5. I wouldnt be surprised if it was at the jack (netrik), i HATE that thing, its the only weak link ive found so far in that bass :mad:

Yeah, i meant to open it up tonight, but went to a gig instead :)
  6. right, so i finally open it up and . . . either the wiring has been changed or the diagram on the ibanez site is out of date

There are a couple solder spots on a couple of the pot casings that look like they used to have something connected but now have another point connected to the casing of the pots instead

Also, the ground wire only seems to go from the disc on the mid pot (stacked) to the volume pot, then to the jack, there is also a thick, unshielded wrap of cable (as in, not even a plastic covering) going into the body of the bass, i dont know what it is, it doesnt seem to be on the wiring diagram but i assume it attaches to the bridge
  7. It seems the balancer pot is ungrounded, there is nothing attatched to the casing of it anyway, like it shows in the diagram, dont know if that could be the cause
  8. Maurice Carr

Maurice Carr

Aug 7, 2004
    Mt Wellington, Auckland, NZ
    Authorised BFM and fEARful cab builder: New Zealand
    I've got a BTB1005 and BTB405QM

I had some strange problems with both basses humming when plugged into my BXR amp and/or into the Sansamp BDDI and itno FOH at church. With fingers on strings, no hum, fingers off strings - a hum. Ground lift helped reduce hum.

At other gigs, sometimes a hum, other times not.

I got a new Eden WT550 the other day, tried both basses - no hum.

So, for me, it was the system rather than my bass, however there doesn't seem to be a way those monorail bridges are earthed - you'd have to earth each one separately.

Strange why your wiring doesn't match that of the official diagramme - was your bass new when you got it?

9. Nop, i got it second hand

And thats odd, how could the fact your touching your bass or not mean there was hum coming from the amp ?

10. Maurice Carr

Maurice Carr

Aug 7, 2004
    If there's a bad earth in the system, my touching the strings acts as the earth, cancelleing the hum - at least that's the way the sound tech describes it to me.

Having the bridge ( thus the strings ) earthed will eliminate this according to him. Light dimmers also cause problems apparently.

I can only assume that in my case the church system, when coupled with the BXR had earthing problems

You're right - strange indeed but I thought sharing what I had experienced may just shed some light on your problem seeing it concerns BTB

Seeing your bass is second hand, perhaps someone has had a fiddle with the wiring inside or even had different pups or pots put in at some stage.

Hope you get to the bottom of it, let me know what you find out as I'm very interested.

11. DAcat

Jun 14, 2005
    Hey Mo- congrats on the WT 550-I've been hanging out here a lot lately if I'm on line (which isn't very much)too busy practicing and having fun...Have fun with your Eden-they are a blast!...Peace...Russ. :cool:
  12. Maurice Carr

Maurice Carr

Aug 7, 2004
    My blues buddy from Iowa - how are ya? - wondered why I hadn't seen you much on AB.

That WT550 is just the cat's pajamas - such a beautiful amp in many ways. I'm building a couple of Bill FitzMaurice cabs to go with it as well.

Keep in touch my friend.