Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BTB change

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rafterman, Apr 16, 2001.

1. ok ok ok...i've heard enough Soundgear bashing to 'figure' out that it just "might" be a waste of money...so...i'm gonna get a BTB-405...but i want some info from ppl who actually own these basses...is it active or passive? 9V or 18V? good choice bad choice? and ETC.???

2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Active, 18v. Good.

3. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I believe Matt Freeman uses a hooked up to hell BTB. So I'd say good. He gets a good sound out of his.

4. Tuomas

Tuomas

Mar 14, 2000
    Helsinki, Finland
    I think BTB is the best bass ibanez builds, so if you have to get an ibanez, i'd recommend the BTB1005.

5. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    yeah, either BTB or EDG I believe it is?

I think those two are their best series'. :p

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

BTB is a killer bass. The best line that Ibanez makes. I have a Zon and a Pedulla, and I am considering adding a BTB406QM to my arsenal. Since getting the 2 nice basses I have gotten a little spoiled when it comes to tone. But the BTB passes the tone test with no problem.

The EDB and EDC(Ergodyne) lines are pretty good too. Don't know about those new Ergodynes, the funky looking ones.

If you can find an ATK, those are killer basses as well, kind of a Stingray vibe but more versatile. They also weigh a ton.

7. I almost bought a BTB1005 recently. I ended up buying a new head and cabs instead. It is a great bass. I haven't played the 400 series but I hear they are a bang for the buck. They have passive pickups with an onboard preamp.

Used to own an ATK. Great bass, I can't believe Ibanez quit making them.

8. FORGET IT...i'm not gonna get a BTB...unless i get enough money for one...but as of now...if i get $400-$500...i'm gonna get a Soundgear SR-405 (they got good reviews). i got a BOSS BASS Equalizer it'll fill in the "holes" you guys claim the Soundgear line has...if i get more...then i'll get a Spector over the summer...if i get a job....when i get the job...i'll spend my money on basses and equipment.

9. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    If you like it.. buy it.
    But dont buy it if it is the only only thing that you "think" can afford.
    I really suggest getting a used bass.
    For that kind of money you can buy really good stuff.
    I bought my C.Curbows for around $500 and they are a lot better than any Ibanez SR.

Why not the SR?
    Because you will find yourself playing a bass that cannot have good low action.
    Has muddy lows and lack of definition.
    Has a floppy B string...
    etc etc..

10. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Not to be an ass or anything, but why don't you just get a cheaper BTB? I mean, it'd be better to have a decent bass than a horrible one and a good one. Once you'd get the good one, you'd have just payed money to have a 2nd bass that'll just sit there.

Get an Erogodyne they're like $499.99 from MF.

And MUCH better than the Soundgear's.
    It'll be something you'll probably want to keep.

11. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    There are no cheaper BTB´s than the 405.

Have you actually played an Ergodyne? I think those had the same kind of necks as the SR´s have LOTSa deadspots and they arent the great thing.
    The good Ergo´s are the EDC´s , but not that good anyway.

Also.. I think you said that no one here gives honest opinions... that all people say: "Get a Curbow" , "Get an Ibanez" , "Get a Stingray".. well You just said "Get an Ergodyne"
    :)

12. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Correct. I'm not bashing Ibanez. I'm telling him since he wants one, he should get the most bang for his buck. EDG's have better EQ's then SR's.

13. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Thats good. But there are not EDG´s.
    I think you were talking about the EDC´s.
    Remember that construction and Overall quality is the most important thing, not just a set of
    electronics.

I think this is the meaning of the Ibanez Series, but its just my Ideas:

SR: Soundgear (Obviusly)
    BTB: Better Bass
    EDB: ErgoDyne Bass
    EDC: ErgoDyne Custom
    EDA: ErgoDyne AFR (IT was modeled after the Original Ibanez AFR)
    ATK : Atack (Bass)
    TR: Traditional

14. Rafterman Let me start by telling you that I am A HUGE Ibanez fan! But if you get the SR405 you will regret it. If it was a 400 I would say go for it despite the fact I don't like the preamp, but that B string is horrible, and that has to be more than an opinion, I don't see how anybody can like the way it sounds. I you fully intend on going with a high C then go for it but I doubt. This is obviously not brand prejudice because like I said, I love banez. My opinion, save towards the BTB. I don't know about the other soundgears B's but I don't see how the lower ones could be any better, and the higher models cost about the same as the BTB anyway.

15. Since we're on the topic I was wanting to clear up this preamp thing. Like I said, I don't like the 400, 405, and 406's preamp (well I've only played a 405 but all 3 have the same preamp) but it's a different preamp than the 800 on up to the rest of the Soundgears, not to mention the 300 and 305's Phat boost preamp. Do all the SRs all have crappy preamps? I've seen where people say they like the Ergodyne preamp but it is a 'vari-mid hi-fi' the same as the SR 1010 on up not to mention the 800, 800A, and 885 have a 'vari-mid' preamp minus the hi-fi. The point off all this nonsense is that I was looking into an 800 but decided against it because of the dislike of the 405, but they have different preamps so maybe I should look back into it. Or maybe I should do what I told Rafterman and get a BTB, or a Carvin.
    BTW Is it just me or did I say preamp alot in this post!

16. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    SRs get good reviews because the people who buy them are mostly inexperienced kids. Dont buy it, its a waste of money...

Me thinks its the F****y connection.

17. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

When you get into the 800 series SRs, even though the preamp is a little better, you are talking about a small bodied basswood bass.

IMHO basswood is not a great wood for bass, and with a small body like a Soundgear it is no good at all.

Take this test. Next time you are in a store that sells Ibanez, play a maple bodied Soundgear(SR 400, 405, 406) unplugged, and then play a basswood bodied Soundgear(SR 800, 885.) You will notice that the maple bodied Soundgear is much more resonant and has more bass unplugged. So with an 800 or 885, you do get a little better preamp, but you are starting with poorer sound due to the body wood.

So, IMHO the only Soundgears worth messing with are the non basswood bodies. You can get one of the maple bodied Soundgears and pay more money to replace the preamp, or you can buy a Prestige Soundgear with a mahogany body, 5 piece neck and decent preamp. Of course, for what a Prestige costs, you can get a Stingray, an American Deluxe Fender, a Warwick Corvette, a Czech Spector, etc.

18. Thanks embellisher. The 800 is definately out of the question now. Don't you find it funny that basswood is bad for the bass when it has bass in it's name. BTW is basswood pronounced 'base'wood or bass like the fish. if it is pronounced 'base'wood, then it's even more funny.

19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Y'all know my thoughts on Ibanez ... but they don't apply to the BTB. Yessir, I like 'em. So who gives a frosty crank, right?

20. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Has anyone seen the Ibanez SR8100 ??
    It costs about $3200!!!
    It has Bartolini Pickups, but I wouldnt spend even $1200 for it.
    For about $1200 I got my Pushic