1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

BTB electronics (Mk1's), thinking of replacing

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by peaveyuser, Feb 23, 2008.

1. peaveyuser

peaveyuser Banned

Oct 18, 2006
    Montreal,Canada
    Well I have a Ibanez BTB450QM, I love it to death and can get a few good tones but I can't help but feeling it's missing something, I think well soul. It's so clear but it can sound a bit artificial kind of nothing really unique, good quality get some good growl sometimes but it's a bit Hi Fi which ain't my style. These Bart Mk1's are good but down the road I'm thinking of changing them. I heard the preamp ain't that good either too so that might need changing.

Have any pickup recommendations that will give it a bit more personality, growl is a good thing so is mwah. If it helps any some tones I like are the Stingray tone, the Rickenbacker tone, PJ configuration is nice too (specifically Duff's from GNR, a lot of mwah).

Yup so any recommendations on what pickups or preamp would give me something more unique? I'm a bit of a fan of Old school tones.

2. peaveyuser

peaveyuser Banned

Oct 18, 2006
    Montreal,Canada
    Come on someone must be able to help me.

3. Carias

Carias

Aug 31, 2006
    Miami
    You can not go wrong with Barts. But stay away from cheapo MK1s. Try instead USA made Classic Bass pickups and a 3 Band Bart Preamp with mid sw like 5.2 or 5.3 A/P. Go to http://www.bestbassgear.com/bartolini-preamps-ntmb.htm#

Your BTB will come to life and it is perfectly hot rodded with barts.
    That is my opinion though.
    Best,

4. ArpeggiFish

ArpeggiFish

Feb 24, 2008
    Q-tuner!

5. Roland777

Roland777

Jun 1, 2006
    Sweden
    I'd actually recommend a pair of Seymour Duncan Basslines ASB5 phase I's. I tried a Warwick corvette standard with a pair of those popped in, and it had a very pleasant sound - agressive, but definately not over the top. I'd imagine that this would go very well with the (in my humble opinion) versatile preamp of the BTB-series, seeing how I've been thinking of putting a pair of them in my own BTB555.
    If you're looking for a versatile modern sound, these pickups are a good candidate. They don't require routing either, as according to the schematics, they have the same length as MK1s, and are 2mm's narrower.

6. I did a little investigating today ...looks like the Nordie Big-singles and big-splits which are 4.27 x 1.25 inches should fit most basses fitted with Bart MK's and MK1's which are 4.25 x 1.33 inches...the Nordies are supposed to be pretty much direct drop ins for Bart P2's which are 4.25 x 1.25...